- Title: EGYPT: NEW WAR MINISTER ATTENDS CABINET MEETING.
- Date: 29th October 1972
- Summary: 1. Ismail arrives--enters and greets Ministers (2 shots) 0.26 2. CU Minister of War is greeted 0.34 3. CU Ahmed Ismail seated talking to Nouh 0.42 4. SCU Salem (left) talks to minister 0.47 5. LV Ministers seated 0.51 6. SCU Sidky enters and shakes hands with Ministers (including Ahmed Ismail) 1.10 Initials BB/1745 OJP/MR/BB/1753 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 13th November 1972 12:00
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Reuters ID: LVAMZWQJJAR74MQEM3EQV715H9M
- Story Text: Egypt's new War Minister, General Ahmed Ismail, attended his first Cabinet meeting in that capacity in Cairo on Saturday (28 October). He replaces General Mohamed Sadek whose resignation was announced by President Sadat on Thursday (26 October). General Ismail was Chief of Staff under President Nasser, but lost his post to General Sadek in September 1969 after Israelis, dressed as Egyptians, landed south of Suez in tanks and killed many Egyptian soldiers. Political observers in Cairo have speculated that the new appointment may be a move to further lessen the tension which has existed between Egypt and the Soviet Union since President Sadat expelled Russian advisers and technicians.
SYNOPSIS: Deputy-Promier Salam...on the left... who's also Minister of the Interior, was another arrival for the meeting.
The new Minister of War received an official welcome from Prime Minister Sidky as the meeting began. General Ismail was Chief of Staff under President Nasser, but lost his post to General Sadek after Israelis... dressed as Egyptians...landed south of Suez in September 1969 and inflicted heavy casualties.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None