- Title: CZECH REPUBLIC: Neo-nazi rally turns violent in Prague
- Date: 11th November 2007
- Summary: JEWISH DEMONSTRATION AT OLD TOWN SQUARE/ PEOPLE WAVING ISRAELI FLAGS ANARCHIST MARCH/ MASKED PROTESTORS WITH BANNER POLICEMEN/ RIOT POLICE VARIOUS OF NAZIS RALLYING/ MEN MAKING RAISED ARM SALUTES / MEN DRINKING FROM CANS POLICE ARRIVING LINE OF RIOT POLICE BETWEEN NAZI'S AND ANARCHIST MARCHERS MAN WITH STAR OF DAVID ON JACKET SHOUTING CLASHES /FIGHTING BETWEEN NAZIS AND ANARCHISTS/ MAN IN CHECK JACKET BEING PULLED ONTO THE GROUND AND BEING BEATEN AND KICKED POLICE WITH DOGS ANARCHIST DEMONSTRATION INJURED MAN IN CHECK JACKET WALKING AWAY CLUTCHING HIS FACE POLICE OFFICERS ANOTHER MAN WITH BANDAGE ON HEAD SITTING ON BENCH PEOPLE SURROUNDING INJURED PERSON ON GROUND PERSON BEING LED AWAY DEMONSTRATION POLICE ON HORSES DEMONSTRATION/ PEOPLE WAVING BLACK FLAG WITH SLOGAN ANALYSE -RESIST / MASKED PROTESTORS MAKING RAISED FIST SALUTE
- Embargoed: 26th November 2007 12:00
- Location: Czech Republic
- Country: Czech Republic
- Topics: Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVABN1FCK5Z1S96YRZPVULQZDY1B
- Story Text: A rally turns violent in Prague, with demonstrations by Jews, anarchists and neo-nazis.
A neo-nazi march through Prague's Jewish quarter turned violent on Saturday (November 10). The march co-incided with the anniversary of the so-called 'Kristallnacht', when Jewish homes and shops were ransacked in 1938.
Prague authorities had earlier tried to ban the march, but right wing group the Young Nationalist Democrats marched anyway.
Members of the Jewish community and anarchists stood against the neo-nazis, and violence flared. Reuters video showed at least one man being kicked on the ground.
1100 special police troops and 300 town police officers, some on horseback were at the rally, trying to keep the right wing nazis and their opposing protesters apart.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None