- Title: SYRIA/TURKEY: Stray bullet from Syria wounds seven-year old girl in Ceylanpinar
- Date: 26th January 2013
- Summary: NUSAYBIN, TURKEY (JANUARY 26, 2013) (REUTERS) CROWD GATHERED FOR RALLY WOMEN DANCING PEOPLE HOLDING BANNERS OF SUPPORT FOR KURDISH PEOPLE IN SYRIA
- Embargoed: 10th February 2013 12:00
- Location: Turkey
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflict,International Relations,Politics
- Reuters ID: LVAT0HGQ2HF345N0YXFG31SS7KF
- Story Text: A seven-year-old girl from Ceylanpinar in Turkey was on Saturday (January 26) wounded by a stray bullet that crossed the border from nearby Ras Al-Ain in Syria as fighting raged between opposition groups.
Gamze Nur Yildirim was playing in the garden of her home when she was injured. She was hospitalised in Ceylanpinar before being transferred to another medical centre in the city of Sanliurfa.
A heavy presence of armed rebels in Ras Al-Ain could be seen from Ceylanpinar with gunfire heard as the rebels fired their weapons into the air. At least one rebel was injured in clashes and required hospital treatment on the Turkish side of the border.
Meantime in the nearby Turkish town of Nusaybin, around a thousand Kurdish people gathered for a rally in support of their fellow Kurds in Syria.
Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party member of parliament, Aysel Tugluk, addressed the crowd and blamed the Turkish government for sending armed fighters to fight against the Kurds in Syria.
Police were taking no chances with the crowd and blocked the road to the nearby border crossing as the rally marched to the border fence.
"We are here to support the Kurdish people in Syria," Nusaybin resident, Ahmet Yilmaz, said.
"We are always with them and we will be keeping on being with them. As residents of those towns, we will never leave them alone."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.