- Title: BAHRAIN-RALLY Protesters stage anti-government rally in Bahrain
- Date: 6th July 2013
- Summary: RESENDING WITH FULL SCRIPT Thousands of anti-government protesters hold mass rally outside Bahrain's capital Manama. SHOWS: KARANAH, BUDAIYA HIGHWAY (WEST OF MANAMA), BAHRAIN (JULY 5, 2013) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS OF ANTI-GOVERNMENT FEMALE PROTESTERS DRESSED IN BLACK, GATHERING AHEAD OF THE RALLY HOLDING BAHRAINI FLAGS AND BANNERS 2. CLOSE OF A FEMALE PROTESTER WEARING A HEAD BAND READING (in English) "FREEDOM" WHILE CHANTING IN ARABIC: "allah akbar meaning god is great" 3. WOMEN CHANTING WITH RAISED HANDS 4. TOP VIEW OF MASS RALLY ON THE MAIN HIGHWAY / PROTESTERS MARCHING, HOLDING BAHRAINI FLAGS AND ANTI-GOVERNMENT BANNERS AND CHANTING ANTI GOVERNMENT WORDS. 5. VARIOUS OF MEN MARCHING WITH FLAGS, RAISED HANDS AND CHANTING 6. GENERAL SECRETARY, ALI SALMAN OF MAIN OPPOSITION PARTY (FRONT ROW CENTRE, DRESSED IN WHITE WITH A BLACK CLOAK AND WHITE TURBAN), MARCHING IN RALLY HOLDING A BANNER AL WEFAQ ISLAMIC SOCIETY MAIN OFFICE, ZINJ, (SOUTHWEST OF CAPITAL MANAMA), BAHRAIN (JULY 4, 2013) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 7. GENERAL SECRETARY OF MAIN OPPOSITION AL WEFAQ, ALI SALMAN, SPEAKING AT PRESS CONFERENCE 8. TV SCREEN SHOWING ALI SALMAN SPEAKING 9. AL WEFAQ ISLAMIC SOCIETY STAFF AND PERSONNEL SEATED AT THE PRESS CONFERENCE 10. CLOSE OF ALI SALMON'S FACE AND HANDS AT THE PRESS CONFERENCE GIVING A STATEMENT TO MEDIA 11. (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GENERAL SECRETARY OF MAIN OPPOSITION PARTY AL WEFAQ ISLAMIC, ALI SALMAN, SAYING: "Total number of arrests done in the month of April, May and June, that is three months. The total arrests of men are 646 individuals." 12. BAR CHART SHOWN ON A LCD SCREEN AT THE PRESS CONFERENCE / SALMAN HEARD SAYING IN BACKGROUND: " total of the number of arrests are 719" 13. AN OFFICIAL OF AL WEFAQ ISLAMIC SOCIETY LISTENING KARANAH, BUDAIYA HIGHWAY (WEST OF MANAMA), BAHRAIN (JULY 5, 2013) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 14. VARIOUS OF ANTI-GOVERNMENT PROTESTERS MARCHING
- Embargoed: 21st July 2013 13:00
- Location: Bahrain
- Country: Bahrain
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVACW3WL0KG41D0CZED221WVWNL6
- Story Text: Thousands of anti-government protesters held a mass authorised rally on Friday (July 5) outside Bahrain's capital Manama, demanding freedom, democracy and the release of political prisoners.
Men, women and children marched on the Budaiya highway, west of Manama, holding Bahraini flags and anti-government banners and placards while chanting slogans.
Meanwhile the main organisers of the Friday's rally, Al Wefaq Islamic Society and its general secretary Ali Salman, were also present at the rally as well as other opposition groups.
A day earlier Ali Salman held a press conference at Al Wefaq Islamic Society's main office in Zinj.
He said the number of arrests made by the Bahrain Ministry of Interior on various charges during the last three months totalled to more than 600 individuals.
"Total number of arrests done in the month of April, May and June, that is three months. The total arrests of men are 646 individuals," he said on Thursday (July 4).
Ministry of Interior Bahrain announced on Thursday the discovery and confiscation of weapons and ammunition from a warehouse in Tubli, south of Manama. This was not the first time the Ministry of Interior had found locations where automatic weapons and other improvised weapons were hidden by anti-government protesters.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None