- Title: FRANCE: MOTORCYCLING RALLY - Organisers unveil route for 2015 Dakar Rally
- Date: 26th March 2014
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MARCH 26, 2014) EXTERIOR OF ARGENTINE EMBASSY MEDIA GATHER AHEAD OF ANNOUNCEMENT MAP OF 2015 ROUTE (SOUNDBITE) (French) DAKAR RACE DIRECTOR ETIENNE LAVIGNE SPEAKING : " Bolivia is like a desert which we love and which we keep ordering again and again. This year, the competition will take place in Bolivia during four days, both for motorbikes and quads and for cars, with the added pleasure of being able to visit the famous salt lakes in the Bolivian plateau, which will be crossed by the car race." THE LATEST PEUGEOT, RETURNING IN 2015 (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CARLOS SAINZ SPEAKING : " I think that the fact that Peugeot has joined the Dakar Rally is excellent news. For me being with a brand like Peugeot, which won a number of times in the 80s and 90s, is a new challenge. And for the Dakar Rally having an official brand like Peugeot join the competition is also fantastic. We will do our best to achieve a good position as soon as possible." PEUGEOT DRIVING AWAY (SOUNDBITE ) (French) CYRIL DESPRES SPEAKING : " Carlos just got into the 205 and I will be following him, changing from two to four wheels. You've got to take on certain challenges when they appear, and this one was too good to let go. Becoming part of a great team like Peugeot Sport is almost a dream come true." DEPRES PUTS ON HIS HELMET AND RIDES OFF
- Embargoed: 10th April 2014 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAESN9AMOCJFY6XUAULINVCYI1E
- Story Text: The 2015 edition of the gruelling Dakar Rally begins andin the Argentine capital of Buenos Aires, organisers announced on Wednesday (March 26).
The route forms a 9,000 kilometre loop across the South American continent, heading through Chile and Bolivia before returning to Argentina. One change includes different rest days for the four competing categories. The 16-day event begins on January 3 and runs till January 19.
This year's event saw a Spanish double, with Nani Roma winning the car race in a Mini and Marc Coma winning the motocycle event riding a KTM, while a Russian team won the truck event and Ignacio Casale won the quad race. The rally, originally called the Paris-Dakar, ran from France to Africa, but it shifted to South America in 2009 after security threats in Mauritania.
Next year sees the eagerly-awaited return of Peugeot to the rally for the first time since it dominated the event over 20 years ago. Joining the team is 2010 Dakar winner and twice World Rally champion Carlos Sainz, who admits he is excited by the new challenge. " For me being with a brand like Peugeot, which won a number of times in the 80s and 90s, is a new challenge, " he said. " For the Dakar Rally having an official brand like Peugeot join the competition is also fantastic. We will do our best to achieve a good position as soon as possible."
Joining him at Peugeot will be fellow Spaniard Cyril Despres, five-time Dakar winner on two wheels, making the move to four.
"You've got to take on certain challenges when they appear, " he said . " This one was too good to let go. Becoming part of a great team like Peugeot Sport is almost a dream come true."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None