- Title: NEPAL: Several opposition leaders released from detention in Nepal
- Date: 28th February 2006
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE)(Nepali) SHEKHAR KOIRALA, SON OF G.P. KOIRALA'S ELDER BROTHER TARINI PRASAD KOIRALA, SAYING: "I just had a nice experience of staying in the same room which my grand father (Krishna Prasad Koirala - the father of Late B.P. Koirala, Goroja Prasad Koirala and others) stayed in and died 61 years ago during the course of struggle for the democracy."
- Embargoed: 15th March 2006 12:00
- Location: Nepal
- Country: Nepal
- Topics: Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVACJ6HZVL64V9IPOL9DQA5PS4L2
- Story Text: The Nepalese government released a number of opposition activists and political leaders on Monday (February 27) who had been arrested following their attempts to interfere in the process of local elections seen by many in the country as designed to reinforce the position of King Gyananendra who assumed executive control in 2005.
Since the dismissal of Royal Commission for Corruption Control by the Supreme Court recently and the subsequent release of Former Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba and his colleague minister Prakash Man Singh, there have been many releases of the party activists and leaders of the various agitating parties. More than a dozen leaders and activists were released on Monday by Kathmandu District Court including Shekhar Koirala and Sujata Koirala from the well known Koirala political family. They say their commitment is to absolute democracy in Nepal.
Earlier in the afternoon there was a protest rally of women activists from the seven agitating parties who were attempting to pressurise the government to reverse an oil price increase decision made on February 17. They were protesting that the price hike would have ill effects on their livelihoods.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None