- Title: USA: Homer and family go Hollywood at "The Simsons Movie" world premiere
- Date: 26th July 2007
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) DAN CASTELLANETA, VOICE OF HOMER SIMPSON, ON HOW EXCITED HOMER WAS TO BE AT THE PREMIERE, SAYING: "I feel that if I weren't myself, that I would be jealous." (SOUNDBITE) (English) JULIE KAVNER, THE VOICE OF MARGE SIMPSON, ON THE FILM'S SCOPE, SAYING: "18 years, well we are recording our 19th season now. It is so global. You thing that everyone is separate and this and that, this is opening up on the 27th all over the world, on the same day." ARRIVAL LINE AT THE PREMIERE (SOUNDBITE) (English) YEARDLEY SMITH, VOICE OF LISA SIMPSON, ON WHAT LISA WOULD THINK OF THE MOVIE, SAYING: "I think that she would be fabulously thrilled. She would be so overjoyed that she threw a party and everyone came. That people really appreciate what she does and what the family stands for.
- Embargoed: 10th August 2007 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVADKO6OEI71S55O439Y9Z3KJ5MS
- Story Text: After what seemed like a decade of waiting - it was actually four years - "The Simpsons Movie" premiered in Los Angeles Tuesday night (July 24, 2007) amid a blaring "hometown" marching band, a blizzard of confetti, pink donuts and a yellow carpet. The scene took on an added celebration as hundreds of "Simpson" wanna-be's crowded in front and around the Mann Village Theaters.
The film's star, Homer Simpson, has been the father of one of the most beloved animated families on television for 18 years. Now, he and his wife, Marge, and their kids -- Bart, Lisa and Maggie -- all make the considerable leap from television to the silver screen, aiming for major box-office bucks by putting their reputation for generating laughs on the line.
The story itself focuses on Homer falling head-over-heels for a slop-eating pig while ignoring his family. It also includes Bart displaying full frontal nudity as he skateboards naked through their hometown of Springfield. In a serious note, ok it's not that serious, Bart looks for fatherly advice from his hated neighbor, the sanctimonious Ned Flanders, after being ignored by Homer. Meanwhile, Bart's over-achieving sister Lisa falls for an Irish environmental activist who swears U2's Bono is not his dad. Her plans to clean up a polluted lake are dashed when Homer dumps pig "leavings" in the water, prompting U.S. officials to cap Springfield with a dome. When Homer's antics threaten his family, Marge finally steps in to clean up the mess.
Dan Castellaneta, the voice behind Homer Simpson, told Reuters that Homer, himself, would be impressed with the premiere's turnout.
"I feel that if I weren't myself, that I would be jealous,"
explained Castellaneta, while answering for Homer in character.
Co-star Julie Kavner, who's the voice for wife Marge, said she was overwhelmed by the film's global reach.
"Eighteen years, well we are recording our 19th season now. It is so global. You think that everyone is separate and this and that, this is opening up on the 27th all over the world, on the same day!"
But, at the same time, "Simpsons" creator Matt Groening, said the television show's popularity added plenty of pressure to the project.
"You know the pressure is the fans, the fans are devoted to the show and they let us know what they like and they let us know what they don't like and we didn't want to disappoint them. We wanted to surprise them and that is kind of hard. We've done 400 episodes, as Homer says that is one for each day of the year and now we have this movie and we wanted to do something different from the show and I think we accomplished that task. I think you're going to laugh, you may not cry, but you will be moved."
"The Simpsons Movie" opens worldwide on Friday. (July 27, 2007)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None