- Title: USA: 'BROKEN ARROW' PREMIERES IN THE U.S.
- Date: 5th February 1996
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (RTV) (RECENT) ACTOR CHRISTIAN SLATER SAYS IT'S MUCH EASIER DOING THESE MOVIES BECAUSE YOU ARE REACTING TO REAL THINGS... FIGHTING YOU ARE REACTING, EXPLOSIONS - THEY'RE NOT FAKE THEY'RE ACTUALLY HAPPENING. THE ONLY THING YOU ARE TRYING NOT TO DO IS ACT SCARED. (ENGLISH) ACTOR SAMANTHA MATHIS SAYS SHE'S CAST AGAINST TYPE IN THE FILM - YOU LOOK AT ME .. I'M PRETTY SMALL ... I DON'T SCREAM OUT PARK RANGER, TOUGH CHICK, ACTION GIRL AND I THINK THAT'S WHAT APPEALED TO JOHN WOO. (ENGLISH) WOO DESCRIBES THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MAKING FILMS IN HONG KONG AND IN THE UNITED STATES - IT'S MORE COMPLICATED HERE. THE SCARE IS BIGGER AND EVERYTHING IS BIGGER. (ENGLISH) WOO ON LOCATION WITH ACTORS. WOO SAYS I THINK THE PEOPLE HERE ARE MUCH MORE PROFESSIONAL. ALL THE ACTORS AND THE CREW THEY WORK VERY HARD AND MOST OF THEM HAVE BEEN STUDYING FROM FILM AND THEY ARE SO INVOLVED AND DEDICATED. (ENGLISH)
- Embargoed: 20th February 1996 12:00
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES AND FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVABWDDZOIMKOK47OYTCUV86483S
- Story Text: John Travolta and Christian Slater attended the premiere of their latest movie on Monday (February 5) in which they play play a couple of American military pilots who are responsible for tactical nuclear weapons in the new thriller "Broken Arrow." In the film, "Broken Arrow" is the term the United States (U.S.) military uses for a nuclear missile that is out of its control.
Travolta plays a pilot who steals nuclear weapons in order to blackmail the military.
Christian Slater plays Travolta's Air Force partner who is thrust into the role of hero when his one-time friend turns on him.
Slater's mission is to stop Travolta from launching a nuclear armagedon.
Slater has some help in the form of an unsuspecting but adventurous park ranger played by Samantha Mathis. Mathis claimed her small stature makes her look nothing like an action hero but in a strange way it was this unassuming appeal whichattracted director John Woo to choose her in the role.
Broken Arrow was new territory for just about everyone involved. For Slater, it was his first chance to do some pretty hair-raising stunts, like being dragged under a speeding train.
For Director John Woo, just making a movie in Hollywood was an unfamiliar experience. Woo's first American film was "Hard Target" starring Jean Claude Van Damme. He's best known for his numerous action films made in his native Hong Kong.
At the movie premiere it was John Travolta who took the limelight with fellow actors applauding his diversity as an actor.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None