- Title: USA: Richard Gere attends U.S. premiere of his new film, 'Primal Fear'
- Date: 25th February 1996
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA (APRIL 1, 1996) (REUTERS) PARAMOUNT GATE IN FRONT OF THE STUDIO THEATRE WHERE PREMIERE WAS HELD ACTOR, RICHARD GERE ARRIVES WITH GIRLFRIEND CAREY LOWELL ACTOR, DREW BARRYMORE AND SINGER, COURTNEY LOVE ARRIVE ACTOR, LAURA LINNEY SAYS GERE IS THE KINDEST PERSON SHE HAS WORKED WITH...RICHARD IS INCREDIBLY KIND AND VERY HELPFUL AND GENEROUS WITH HIS TIME, HE'S VERY PATIENT WITH THE WORK AND REALLY LETS IT DEVELOP (ENGLISH) GERE SAYS I LIKED THIS CHARACTER, HE'S A WINNER, HE'S ON A ROLL, HE'S A GOLDENBOY AND HE CAN AFFORD TO BE AS COCKY AS HE IS (ENGLISH) ACTOR, JOHN MAHONEY SAYS IT WAS GREAT TO PLAY THE SCUM OF THE EARTH BUT IN A THREE PIECE SUIT (ENGLISH) ACTOR, EDWARD NORTON SAYS NO OTHER ACTOR WILL EVER WORK WITH ME ON MY FIRST JOB AND BE AS HELPFUL FOR ME AS HE WAS. (SPEAKING ABOUT GERE)
- Embargoed: 11th March 1996 12:00
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA4JPOKMZFFL7NEIRBQ35A7U7K3
- Story Text: Richard Gere takes on the role of a high-powered criminal attorney who loves the media spotlight in the new courtroom thriller "Primal Fear." The film premiered in the United States on Monday (April 1), becoming the top-grossing movie for the three-day Easter holiday.
While his latest character loves being in the limelight, in reality Gere is much more protective of his privacy.
At the film's premiere, however, Gere allowed a glimpse into his lovelife, appearing publically for the first time with his new love, former Bond girl Carey Lowell.
In "Primal Fear", Gere plays Martin Vail, a lawyer who loves a good fight and purposely takes controversial cases to get his name in the newspapers and his face on television.
In his most recent case, he represents a penniless, bewildered young man, played by Edward Norton, who has been accused of the murder of one of Chicago's most prominent dignitaries, its Archbishop.
At first, his guilt seems as evident as the blood found splattered on his clothes. But Vail doesn't care about questions of guilt or innocence. All he cares about is creating and selling his version of the truth.
The case is complicated by his antagonism toward his former boss in the prosecutor's office, played by John Mahoney, and his unresloved relationship with his former lover, played by Laura Linney, who happens to be the prosecutor in the case.
Also in the cast is Alfre Woodard, who plays Miriam Shoat, the no-nonsense judge who presides over the murder trial.
Gregory Hoblit makes his film directorial debut on this film after winning nine Emmys producing and directing for television.
"Primal Fear" is based on the novel of the same name by William Diehl.
Diehl recently completed his seventh novel, "Show of Evil", which is the second book in a trilogy featuring the Martin Vail character.
"Primal Fear" opens in the United Kingdom on May 24.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None