- Title: USA: Beyonce premieres "Obsessed" in New York City
- Date: 25th April 2009
- Summary: FASHION SHOT OF BEYONCE KNOWLES ALI LARTER TALKING TO REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) BEYONCE KNOWLES, SAYING "You know what, not really, I'm not the jealous type, you know, I feel like you have to have a very strong relationship, and you have to be friends, and I don't think jealousy is very healthy, I mean, it's a natural thing, but I try my best, it's not very attractive." CUTAWAY OF MEDIA WITH PAN TO KNOWLES SCROLLING MARQUEE
- Embargoed: 10th May 2009 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA3VTTUC5YB0QAYU6O082B8CAIK
- Story Text: Music star turned actress Beyonce Knowles attended the premiere of her latest film, "Obsessed," in which she plays an overprotective wife who settles a score with another woman that lusts after her husband.
With a plot similar to the classic love triangle thriller "Fatal Attraction," "Obsessed" gave the Grammy Award winning singer the chance to lay bare her acting chops, without having musical or theatrical numbers to hide behind.
"I really felt like it was time after that for me to kind of step out of my comfort zone and go more into some of the dramatic roles," says Knowles, "and I think, is so great because it has different textures, it starts off really charming, in this sweet perfect relationship and you see the suspicion, and then you see the anger and rage, and I definitely felt like it was time, and it's a very important movie for me."
"Obsessed" also stars British actor Idris Elba and actress Ali Larter, as the mentally ill woman who falls for him and tries ruthlessly to break up his marriage. Although the idea of two attractive women fighting over him was appealing at first, Elba wouldn't opt to trade places with the character he plays.
"These women are beautiful, but the scenario really is a horrible scenario to really be in, but me as an actor, lovely, what more can I ask for, lovely, what more can I ask for, some of the most beautiful women in the world fighting over me, it was great," says Idris Elba.
On the red carpet, most of the buzz of the evening was surrounding the brutal fight scene at the end of "Obsessed" between Knowles' character and her husband's stalker. Despite a few bruises, Knowles says it was fun to take on the physical film shoot and learn a few moves from her experienced co-star Ali Larter.
"It was pretty difficult, and it was a bit intimidating in the beginning before we started, but just thinking about fighting for the first time, because I've never done a fight scene, and I did it with the best, with Ali who has done so many scenes," says Knowles, "but it was great to be able to incorporate the emotion and rage."
For Ali Larter, who loved 1987's "Fatal Attraction," taking on the role of the jilted lover in "Obsessed" was a chance to give audiences a fun and thrilling new take on an old theme.
"'Fatal Attraction' to me is, that's it, and that's where it all began and this is just a really fun and sexy thriller," says Larter.
"We want people to be able to go in and escape reality. Everyone is so overwhelmed right now when they watch the news and the pressure with the recession, and this movie is just fun, so grab a bucket of popcorn and go in and have a good time."
As for Beyonce's own jealous tendencies? Life does not imitate art, as she is comfortable in her relationship with her husband of one year, rapper Jay-Z, who did not attend the premiere.
"I'm not the jealous type, you know, I feel like you have to have a very strong relationship, and you have to be friends, and I don't think jealousy is very healthy," says Knowles.
"It's not very attractive."
"Obsessed" hits theaters on Friday, April 24th.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None