- Title: USA: Flashy Bruno premiere overshadowed by Michael Jackson's death
- Date: 29th June 2009
- Summary: SACHA BARON COHEN TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) SACHA BARON COHEN AS BRUNO, SAYING: "It is just so hard being a role model you know. I'm inspired by all the great thinkers, Plato, Aristotle, Shakira. It's just want to know, I just want to be like somebody who really makes a difference. You know the connection between me, Ghandi and Jesus is the three of us look great in our underpants." COHEN POSING FOR FANS WITH MODELS COHEN POSING BY HIMSELF FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) SACHA BARON COHEN AS BRUNO, SAYING: "My legacy is all about the child that I'm bringing up. You know, he's a black kid, which is great. Because he goes with any outfit. You know I gave him a traditional African, you know, OJ. I'm just trying to bring him up, he's three years old now and I've already taught him how to read, write and stick his fingers down his throat. So I'm really proud of him." COHEN WALKING BY AND WAVING TO FANS
- Embargoed: 14th July 2009 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVACWFCCGFSKMTRQR2I99S7ENA7K
- Story Text: Sacha Baron Cohen made a flashy entrance on Hollywood Boulevard to launch his latest film, "Bruno" in Los Angeles. The spectacle mostly fell flat however, with a mostly empty red carpet, because of the sudden death of Michael Jackson.
Cohen, in character as Bruno, rode onto the carpet on a mirrored military tank wearing waving to fans. He was trailed by an army of female models in matching mini uniforms. Bruno, the latest Cohen persona, takes on the role as an outrageous gay Austrian fashion reporter.
Sacha Baron Cohen stayed in character as he talked to the media. He talked about his job as a role model.
"It is just so hard being a role model you know, " said Cohen, as Bruno. "I'm inspired by all the great thinkers, Plato, Aristotle, Shakira. It's just want to know, I just want to be like somebody who really makes a difference. You know the connection between me, Ghandi and Jesus is the three of us look great in our underpants."
Besides Cohen, the carpet was noticeably empty. Actresses Isla Fisher and Mira Sorvina posed for pictures but quickly went inside the theater.
The premiere and the film, were not immune to the news of Michael Jackson's sudden death.
The grand set-up for the premiere covered Michael Jackson's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Many fans trekked to the famed sidewalk in hopes of catching a glimpse of the star and pay tribute to the King of Pop but were sadly turned away.
Also, a scene in "Bruno" featuring LaToya Jackson was cut from the film prior to the premiere's screening. No decision has been made if the segment will be kept in when the film goes into wider release.
Just feet from the premiere the thoughts of visitors were on Michael Jackson. Many of the visitors were sad to hear the news about the pop star.
"You know, actually. It takes your breath away," said tourist Yasthil Maharha. "You don't know how to feel. He was such a legend, you know he'll always be remembered.
The premiere will be clear of Michael Jackson's star on Friday morning.
Bruno opens in theaters on July 10.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None