- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: Bollywood film "Kites" premieres in London
- Date: 25th May 2010
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MAY 18, 2010) (REUTERS) (*** FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY ***) PAN FROM RED CARPET TO WOMAN IN WINDOW FILM POSTER FOR "KITES" / PAN TO ROSHAN ON RED CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) BARBARA MORI, ACTRESS, ON WORKING WITH HRITHIK ROSHAN, SAYING "It was an amazing experience. He's a great actor and a beautiful companionship, I'm feeling really happy, excited." (SOUNDBITE) (English) HRITHIK ROSHAN, ACTOR, ON WORKING WITH BARBARA MORI, SAYING: "Absolutely fantastic. Her approach to her art is so refreshing, it's enlightening, really." PHOTOGRAPHERS / PAN TO MORI AND ROSHAN MORE OF MORI AND ROSHAN POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS
- Embargoed: 9th June 2010 13:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA85YV2GPZIHKZK4B42CJUY05V9
- Story Text: India's glitterati hit London's red carpet Tuesday (May 18) evening for the premiere of Bollywood film "Kites" -- which will be the widest ever release for an Indian film to date.
The film follows two immigrants -- one from India, played by Bollywood heartthrob Hrithik Roshan, and another from Mexico, played by Mexican actress Barbara Mori -- who are in the US to pursue their dreams.
And this may not have been too far from reality since for both actors, having the film premiere in London was itself a dream come true.
"It feels very good I feel very special and blessed and very thankful that I have the opportunity, you know. And my visions are manifested in my life, which is great," said Roshan.
"I'm really excited, I can't believe it, I'm here in London presenting this beautiful film. I'm really blessed, I feel really blessed and thankful," added Mori.
"Kites'" premiere in London is testament to its ambition.
Two versions of the film have been made, with the shorter one being the handiwork of American filmmaker Brett Ratner, who directed "X-Men: The Last Stand".
According to Ratner:
"I saw the Indian version, and I said 'what would you do to the American version, if you showed it in the United States?'. I said I would make it shorter, I would change the music... and they said, 'Well you do that' and I'm like 'Okay' so that's how I became a part of it."
Veteran of Indian cinema Rakesh Roshan, who is also Hrithik's father, produced the film.
And while he's previously worked on 4 films with his son, the older Roshan believes that this film is special due to its wider reach.
"This is the first time that I've done a, global, for a wider audience. It's not only for the Indian diaspora. It's for the wider audience, for the whole world to see the film," he said.
"Kites" is a film that mixes Bollywood romance, Latino passion and a bit of Hollywood action-adventure.
It follows an incredible love story between two people that don't speak the same language.
But despite the language barrier, the actors' relationship was more than smooth-sailing.
When asked about each other:
"It was an amazing experience. He's a great actor and a beautiful companionship, I'm feeling really happy, excited," said Mori.
"Absolutely fantastic. Her approach to her art is so refreshing, it's enlightening, really," said Roshan.
Kites will be released in cinemas across the UK on May 21st.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.