- Title: USA: Madonna's movie premieres in New York
- Date: 15th October 2008
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 13, 2008) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) MADONNA SAYING: "I thought I would be much more nervous directing people than I was. It felt very natural." MADONNA IN FRONT OF THE PRESS
- Embargoed: 30th October 2008 12:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA636IT9RA9VP2WSKSP3ZVQ5AF5
- Story Text: Material Girl Madonna talks politics and movies at the New York premiere of her movie, 'Filth and Wisdom".
Material Girl Madonna can sing, dance and act. Now she unveils her latest talent, directing.
Her movie, "Filth and Wisdom" premiered in New York on Monday (October 13) and the 50 year old pop queen hit the red carpet to promote the film.
When asked why she attacked Sarah Palin during her recent concert at Madison Square Garden, Madonna replied, "She's in the Republican Party and I am in the Democratic Party."
When asked if she would vote for Democrat Barack Obama in the upcoming U.S. election, the singer said, "Hell yeah!"
Her movie 'Filth and Wisdom" is a light-hearted, fast-paced story of three flatmates seeking fame and fulfilment, each reflecting aspects of Madonna's own life. It's also unlikely to be her last.
Madonna said her husband, director Guy Ritchie was a help during the process of making "Filth & Wisdom".
"He did it in two areas, as far as the writing goes, he says 'write what you know about' and as far as directing goes, he said to show up on the set with confidence and make sure you show confidence even if you are nervous, in front of the actors and the crew," said Madonna.
"Filth & Wisdom" follows narrator "A.K.", a Ukrainian immigrant and self-proclaimed philosopher and poet, as he strives for superstardom with his gypsy punk band. He is played by Eugene Hutz, member of real-life band Gogol Bordello, and the group's music features on the soundtrack. Madonna's "Erotica" and Britney Spears's "Baby One More Time" are also used.
To help makemeet A.K. doubles as a cross-dresser, fulfilling clients' fantasies by donning costumes including that of a teacher and a dressage rider.
He shares an apartment with Holly, a trained ballerina who reluctantly takes on a new job as a pole dancer, and Juliette, who longs to help children in Africa.
The parallels with Madonna's own life are clear. As well as becoming one of the most successful singers of all time, she has taken on charity work for children in Africa and is in the process of adopting a boy from Malawi.
Madonna said that having her movie open in New York was special to her.
"All my friends are here and I love New York."
"Filth and Wisdom" opens in theatres across the U.S. in mid- October.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None