- Title: FRANCE: "My Blueberry Nights" kicks off the 60th annual Cannes Film Festival
- Date: 17th May 2007
- Summary: CROWDS TAKING PHOTOS DIRECTOR DAVID LYNCH SURROUNDED BY PHOTOGRAPHERS ON RED CARPET DIRECTOR LUC BESSON ON THE RED CARPET PHOTOGRAPHERS AISHWARYA RAI AND ABHISHEK BACHCHAN POSING FOR PHOTOS PHOTOGRAPHERS TAIWANESE ACTRESS SHU QI POSING FOR PHOTOS CAST AND DIRECTOR OF 'MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS' POSING FOR PHOTOS VARIOUS OF DIRECTOR WONG KAR WAI, MRS WONG, NORAH JONES AND JUDE LAW POSING FOR PHOTOS PHOTOGRAPHERS LAW AND JONES ON THE RED CARPET AND ENTERING FESTIVAL PALACE
- Embargoed: 1st June 2007 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVASL59I27J6GIEWYHP2A1R4QOC
- Story Text: With pomp and ceremony, the 60th annual Cannes Film Festival officially commenced on Wednesday (May 16) with the world premiere of Wong Kar Wai's film, "My Blueberry Nights" - one of 22 movies in competition for the coveted Palme d'Or.
Starring in the film is Norah Jones, a Grammy-winning artist who at the age of 28 has sold tens of millions of albums. She appears alongside British heartthrob Jude Law in a story of losing and finding love set in New York and across the United States.
Law plays New York cafe owner Jeremy from Manchester, England, who tells Elizabeth that her boyfriend has been cheating on her and they gradually become soul mates.
Elizabeth embarks on a journey where she encounters a policeman who drowns his marital sorrows in whisky (David Strathairn), his wife (Rachel Weisz) and gambling addict (Natalie Portman).
The opening movie kicks off 11 hectic days of networking, deal making and partying among thousands of people from across the industry who descend on Cannes each year.
It is one of 22 competition films, but hundreds more, including major Hollywood productions, are screened and touted, luring the likes of Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Scorsese and Sharon Stone to France's southern coast.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.