- Title: USA: "Spider-Man 3" premieres in New York City
- Date: 9th May 2007
- Summary: ACTOR JAMES FRANCO, WHO PLAYS NEW GOBLIN / HARRY OSBORN IN "SPIDER-MAN 3" ON THE RED CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) JAMES FRANCO, ACTOR WHO PLAYS "NEW GOBLIN / HARRY OSBORN" IN "SPIDER-MAN 3", SAYING: "Spider-man has a new suit, a black suit, and that represents his turn to the dark side and his struggle with his inner dark side. And all the characters do that, so there's really a common theme for all of them. And because of that it's unified and some overcome their dark side and some don't." DALLAS HOWARD ON THE BLACK CARPET (SOUNDBITE) (English) BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD, ACTRESS WHO PLAYS GWEN STACY IN "SPIDER-MAN 3", SAYING: "This is a darker depiction of his world and coming in as a new character, I felt like it was my responsibility to at least in a little way balance that out because there is a freshness there. So, that's why I tried to do. That was my main objective." A CROWDED BLACK CARPET
- Embargoed: 24th May 2007 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA74RCILPX4ZN571ZPENYLWQVGJ
- Story Text: The latest spidey flick arrived in the Big Apple on Monday (April 30), with "Spider-Man 3" having its U.S. premiere in Peter Parker's home town of Queens, New York. The premiere was part of the ongoing Tribeca Film Festival
The regular red carpet was given the darker hue of black in support of the new Spider-Man film, which is supposed to present a darker side of Spider-Man/Peter Parker, played by Tobey Maguire. Though at the premiere, Maguire showed a nicer side as he made the effort to go and meet his cheering, mostly younger fans standing opposite the black carpet.
Maguire said that he was thrilled by the response he got from the fans gathered for the premiere and was happy that the team behind the film had brought it back to Parker's hometown.
"This is fantastic. It's so exciting, you know. It's fun to go say hi to all of them. They've come out here to support. We've got Peter Parker, Spider-man, back to Queens, his hometown. So, it's a blast," said Maguire.
Reflecting on how Spider-Man is a bit different in the third film, Maguire said of his character, "He's more arrogant and self-important which creates conflicts with him in his relationships, and he's also meaner and more aggressive. But at the same time, we had fun with him, in trying to make it funny and light-hearted in certain places."
In "Spider-Man 3", based on the legendary Marvel Comics series, Peter Parker initially manages to strike a balance between his love for Mary Jane Watson, played by Kirsten Dunst, and his responsibilities as a superhero. But the story becomes more complex when Parker finds his suit turning jet-black, enhancing his powers, but also changing him as a person. The black suit has the effect of making Parker more arrogant and he begins to distance from the people he had cared most about earlier.
Dunst, who was also celebrating her birthday on the U.S. premiere day, explained that in her view the film strikes a good balance between the darker themes and the lighter side.
"I don't think it's darker. I just think it's more emotional because now Peter and M.J. (Mary Jane Watson) are finally together, and also there's a lot of humor in the darkness as well. We make fun of the black Spidey suit so, there's a good balance," said Dunst.
Spider-Man 3 also has a host of new, more powerful villains in its cast, including "Venom/Eddie Brock", played by actor Topher Grace.
"It was amazing. I was a huge fan of the first film and an even bigger fan of the second film. I was also a huge fan of the comic book when I was younger and ironically right when my character was being born. So, I was very honored and also really wanted to kind of do it justice. And I had a fun time doing it," said Grace.
Actor Thomas Haden Church is also new to the Spider-Man series and plays the conflicted "Sandman" in the film.
While the new actress in the main cast is Bruce Dallas Howard, who plays Gwen Stacy, a girl that Parker shows interest in.
"This is a darker depiction of his world and coming in as a new character, I felt like it was my responsibility to at least in a little way balance that out because there is a freshness there. So, that's why I tried to do. That was my main objective," said Howard.
Actor James Franco, who has been seen in earlier Spider-Man films, returns as Harry Osborn.
"Spider-Man has a new suit, a black suit, and that represents his turn to the dark side and his struggle with his inner dark side. And all the characters do that, so there's really a common theme for all of them. And because of that it's unified and some overcome their dark side and some don't," said Franco.
Spider-Man 3 opens in American theaters on May 4.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None