- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: 3D spectacular "Tron Legacy" has its UK premiere in London
- Date: 6th December 2010
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (DECEMBER 5, 2010) (REUTERS) **CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY** EXTERIOR CINEMA BLUE CARPET BEING LAID VARIOUS FANS WAITING ACTOR JEFF BRIDGES ARRIVES SOUNDBITE (English) ACTOR JEFF BRIDGES SAYING: "There were rumours going on for years you know but it's 28 years, can you imagine since the original, so it was wonderful to get back on the grid after 28 years."
- Embargoed: 21st December 2010 12:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA1I7ZG3N1IW3W1Y7GT4XQ6R5WH
- Story Text: London's Leicester Square hosted the UK premiere of the much anticipated new TRON film on Sunday night (December 5).
TRON: Legacy is a high-tech production with 3D effects never seen before on the big screen and it sees Jeff Bridges returning to his role as Kevin Flynn.
Bridges told Reuters Television a sequel to the original had been whispered about for quite some time.
"There were rumours going on for years you know but it's 28 years, can you imagine since the original, so it was wonderful to get back on the grid after 28 years."
"TRON: Legacy" continues the story of Kevin Flynn. The arcade owner disappears, leaving his young son Sam (Garrett Hudlund) alone.
As an adult, Sam decides to investigate his father's disappearance after a message is sent from an old pager number of Flynn's which hasn't been used in 20 years.
It leads him into the grid digital world of TRON where he is reunited with his father.
Flynn has been living there for 20 years and is battling a ruthless villain who was his own creation but has turned against him.
Director Joseph Kosinski used cutting-edge technology to create a visual spectacle that's being hailed as the new frontier of film-making.
"We've got a new generation 3D camera. This is a true 3D movie, shot in 3D so it's not converted. We've got fully illuminated suits which we built and designed from scratch so everyone you see in the film is actually illuminating light - they were on set it isn't something we've done in post and we've got a fully digital character played by Jeff Bridges. He plays himself at 60 years old and himself at 35 so I think we're the first film to have someone play against himself."
Released in 1982, the original "TRON" was a groundbreaking film from writer/director Steven Lisberger, who is a producer on "TRON: Legacy." "TRON" pioneered the use of computer graphics, virtual sets and backlit effects and has become a cult classic.
Jeff Bridges told Reuters the new film makes the original look like a black and white television show.
"It was all that performance capture stuff. Stuff that I'd never experienced. Making movies without cameras was something quite amazing and very different."
Electronic music duo Daft Punk did the film's futuristic score.
Actress Olivia Wilde plays Quorra, a woman on the grid who becomes Kevin Flynn's apprentice, said she is a big fan.
"So cool. I love Daft Punk. That was one of the first things that attracted me to doing the movie and I mean they're amazing. They've done such an incredible score."
"TRON: Legacy" opens world-wide on December 17.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None