- Title: USA: The love for animals unite Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson in new film.
- Date: 13th December 2011
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 12, 2011) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) CAMERON CROWE, DIRECTOR, SAYING: "They have such great chemistry. And I think it's because they're super professionals, but they are still so excited about the work that they are doing. And life is just a wonderful thing for them and they share it with each other. I can't not watch them, they're just kind of electric."
- Embargoed: 28th December 2011 12:00
- Location: Usa, Usa
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVAEVVUWJXLXP73VHE3FZU51MREI
- Story Text: Movie stars Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson hit the red carpet for the world premiere of their latest film "We Bought a Zoo."
Megastars Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson hit the red carpet for the premiere of their latest film "We Bought a Zoo" on Monday (December 12). The screening was held at the Ziegfeld theater in New York.
The movie is inspired by the real life tale of Benjamin Mee, a journalist and single father turned zoo-owner. Damon is in the role of Mee, who faces the challenges of raising two young children, looking to give his family a much needed fresh start. In the process he finds a home situated in the middle of a zoo and decides to buy it. With no experience and a shoestring budget, Mee now has to support his family and tte local community to reopen a decaying zoo.
The role of Mee was one that Damon, father of four, could relate to.
"It's a lot of work raising kids, and it's a full time wonderful job. And I can't imagine doing it without my partner," Damon told Reuters Television.
"It's a movie about a guy who is forced to do it without his partner and I just really, that just really resonates for me," he said.
Starring alongside Damon is Johansson, in the role of head zookeeper Kelly Foster.
The bombshell actress dazzled the press at the premiere in a black Dolce & Gibbon dress. Johansson, known for her femme-fatale roles said that it was the down to earth quality of Kelly that made her come on board.
"I think I was attracted to the fact that Kelly was not looking for love. She wasn't looking for a husband or a boyfriend or a date. She is just a practical salt of the earth grounded character," the 27-year-old actress explained.
For Damon, director Cameron Crowe was the deciding factor in taking part of the film. He said that he has admired Crowe's work, that includes blockbuster hits such as "Jerry Maguire" and "Elizabethtown," for years.
"As a movie go-er, they just really get to me. And I really have a wonderful cathartic experience every time I go see a Cameron Crowe movie. So I wanted to be a part of one," the Oscar-winner said.
Crowe on his part, praised both Damon and Johansson for their professionalism.
"They have such great chemistry. And I think it's because they're super professionals, but they are still so excited about the work that they are doing. And life is just a wonderful thing for them and they share it with each other. I can't not watch them, they're just kind of electric," Crowe said.
Also in the movie is Elle Fanning, sister of Dakota Fanning and star of thriller movie "Super 8."
She plays Johansson's cousin Lily Miska, who becomes fascinated with Mee's son Benjamin.
Fanning said that her famous sister inspires her to stay in the movie business.
"I started out because I saw her, she came out to LA and I saw her acting and saw how much fun she was having. And I wanted to sort of give it a try too," the 13-year old said.
"We Bought a Zoo," a charming, inspiring story of a family in the face of extraordinary challenges opens widely in theaters in North America on December 23.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None