- Title: UK: Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" has world premiere in London
- Date: 1st June 2012
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MAY 31, 2012) (REUTERS) (L-R) THERON, ACTOR LOGAN MARSHALL-GREEN, ACTRESS NOOMI RAPACE AND ACTOR MICHAEL FASSBENDER POSING FOR PICTURES RAPACE SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS RAPACE TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTRESS, NOOMI RAPACE, SAYING: "This is everything she has been waiting for, and then she realises that what they meet and what they find is not what she expected, and she was wrong, so she kind of changes from being quite a naive, open hearted person into something of a more of a trooper and a fighter and a survivor."
- Embargoed: 16th June 2012 13:00
- Location: United Kingdom
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts
- Reuters ID: LVAEQQ6JU9XM136U0V5RYMVRYZTL
- Story Text: Three decades after his last science fiction movie, award winning director Ridley Scott has gone back to the genre where he made his name with new thriller "Prometheus".
The legendary filmmaker was accompanied to his film's World Premiere in London on Thursday (May 31) by his partner, actress Giannina Facio.
After posing for pictures, he explained to Reuters Television why it was the right time to return to sci-fi:
"I missed it, I mean I really enjoyed doing those two and the way it got I just got really busy and I didn't have time. It was always in the back of my mind that there was an unanswered question from the first "Alien" that no one ever picked up, and I thought that's going to be it."
Scott's place in history was sealed when he released "Alien" in 1979, a ground breaking mix of science fiction and horror. He then followed on with "Blade Runner", which became one of the most revered and influential genre films of our time.
He new film "Prometheus" began life as a prequel to "Alien", before becoming more than that. It stands as a story in its own right, appealing to audiences who have and have not seen "Alien".
As well as having Scott at the helm, "Prometheus" has an all star cast, including "Monster" actress Charlize Theron and star of "Shame" Michael Fassbender.
Academy Award winner Theron explained it was the opportunity to work with Ridley that made her want to be part of the movie: "Well when Ridley Scott calls you're just like why would you not do it, he is one of those filmmakers I have always wanted to work with he's, and especially in the genre, I feel like this is his baby, this is his thing, this is what he does really well."
Scott's latest big screen venture begins with a team of explorers discovering a clue to the origins of mankind. They then board the ship Prometheus and set off on a mission to try and discover the answers to some of life's most profound questions. Theron plays Meredith Vickers an executive from Weyland Industries, the corporation who have funded the project. While our keen scientists are played by The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo star Noomi Rapace and Across the Universe actor Logan Marshall-Green.
The crew think they are headed for paradise, but the team find themselves confronted with a frightening world, that's closer to hell than heaven.
"This is everything she has been waiting for, and then she realises that what they meet and what they find is not what she expected, and she was wrong, so she kind of changes from being quite a naive, open hearted person into something of a more of a trooper and a fighter and a survivor." Said Rapace, who plays scientist Elizabeth Shaw.
Actor Michael Fassbender's android character David is also on board the ship, and Guy Pearce appears as Peter Weyland, the trillionaire head of Weyland Industries.
"Prometheus" opens in cinemas in the UK on June 1st.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None