- Title: SOUTH KOREA: RIOT POLICE OFFICER YOO JI-WOONG DIES IN STUDENT CLASHES
- Date: 2nd June 1997
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (JUNE 2, 1997) (RTV) 1. GV: STUDENTS (3 SHOTS) 0.15 2. GV: STUDENTS CLASHING WITH RIOT POLICE/ STUDENTS THROW PETROL BOMBS (3 SHOTS) 0.56 3. GV: POLICEMEN WITH UNIFORM ON FIRE 1.05 4. SV: STUDENTS THROWING PETROL BOMBS, STUDENT ON FIRE 1.27 5. SV/GV/LV: MORE CLASHES/ STUDENTS BEAT POLICEMEN WITH METAL BARS/ MORE STUDENT/ POLICE CLASHES (11 SHOTS) 4.39 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 17th June 1997 13:00
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Reuters ID: LVA55LZOQJCZC6Y0RSW6BVFR2ZY4
- Story Text: - INTRO: A South Korean riot police officer has died of injuries after fierce clashes with students outside a Seoul university, according to a television report.
The officer was beaten by students outside Hanyang University on Monday (June 2) and was taken to hospital, where he died, the Korea Broadcasting System said.
It identified the officer as Yoo Ji-woong. No other details were immediately available.
Witnesses said a number of police officers were beaten senseless by leftwing students armed with metal pipes and firebombs during protests to demand the resignation of President Kim Young-sam.
Injured officers were sprawled helplessly on the streets, their helmets scattered around them.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None