- Title: UK: ANDREW GROVES AND SERAPH SHOW NEW DESIGNS DURING LONDON FASHION WEEK.
- Date: 30th September 1998
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (SEPTEMBER 29,1998)(RTV ACCESS ALL) 1. BACKSTAGE OF ANDREW GROVES SHOW 2. SHOW ASSISTANTS DISCUSSING ORDER OF DISPLAY 3. ASSISTANTS SPRINKLING CATWALK WITH FLOUR 4. FLOUR BEING SPREAD 5. JAPANESE TAILOR SAYING "TWO YEARS BEFORE I DID ALEXANDER MCQUEEN'S ASSISTANT AND THIS TIME I AM DOING ANDREW GROVES AND ITS BEEN EXCITING, ITS BEEN ENJOYABLE. (ENGLISH) 6. LASER BURNING A LINSE OF FLOUR 7. MALE MODEL WITH BLANKED OUT FACE WEARING WHITE VEST, LOOSE JACKET AND TROUSERS 8. LOW CUT TOP WITH FLOWING TROUSERS 9. AUDIENCE 10. MALE WITH LONG WHITE SPECKLED COAT AND SILK TROUSERS 11. MALE WITH ROUGH CUT SHORT SLEEVED TOP AND BAGGY TROUSERS 12. CHARLES WORTHINGTON (HAIRDRESSER) SAYING" WE ARE GOING WITH CIGARETTE END IN MOUTH FROM SMOOTH, SLEEK GLOSSY HAIR TO QUITE DISHEVELLED HAIR, SECOND HALF IS THE SLIGHTLY DEBAUCHED SECTION (ENGLISH) 13. FEMALE WITH SHORT WHITE JACKET, HAT AND LONG SKIRT WITH SILVER TASSLES FROM HAIR. 14. MALE WITH STRONG COLOURFUL RED TROUSERS AND OPEN JACKET 15. MALE WITH SHEEPSKIN JACKET AND MULTI-COLOURED TROUSERS 16. AUDIENCE WITH VIDEO CAMERA 17. FEMALE WITH LONG MULTI-COLOURED DRESS 18. FEMALE WITH YELLOW TROUSERS AND LONG FLOWING TOP 19. LONG DRESS MADE OF STEEL RAZOR BLADES 20. AUDIENCE APPLAUSE 21. FINALE WITH GROVES ANS MODELS 22. GROVES SAYING" IT WAS JUST HOW I ENVISAGED THE SHOW SHOULD LOOK SIX MONTHS AGO. IT WAS ELEGANT IT WAS CHIC, IT WAS SOPHISTICATED AND IT HAD HUMOUR IN IT AS WELL. I WANTED TO DO SOMETHING VERY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT I USUALLY DO (ENGLISH) 23. DESIGNER SHERALD LAMDEN 23. JAPANESE MODEL WEARING BLACK TASSLED DRESS 24. WHITE LOW CUT TOP AND TROUSERS 25. KIDS SAT ON FLOOR LAUGHING 26. LONG BLACK TOP WITH TROUSERS 27. PHOTOGRAPHERS AND FINALE Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 15th October 1998 13:00
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA54EY7KAC3B60L06LUBHZYDYBJ
- Story Text: The last night of London Fashion Week saw two very different themes from designers Andrew Groves and Sherald Lamden (Seraph).
Bags of flour, laser beams and billows of smoke opened a thrilling display of designs by Andrew Groves in the heart of London's East End on Tuesday (September 29).
Groves' theme from the film Face Off directed by Hollywood's John Woo and Cocaine Nites by J.G.Ballard were displayed in his designs of light fine fabrics to start and , ended with stark colours and heavily pleated tailoring.
His background in theatrical costume have given his clothes a dramatic flair and strong cutting.
Groves spent the late 1980s travelling around Eastern Europe with a carnival troupe.Returning to London, he became a costume designer, then won a place on St Martins' fashion MA course.
This season he said he aimed to obliterate all straight lines and promised no insects or animals as seen in his previous shows.
Showing for the first time as part of the official schedule, 30-year-old Groves invited 650 guests to see his work, but only a few were given places on the all-important front row.
Seraph designer Sherald Lamden showed an urban ethnic influence in her clothes, tailoring denim with a modern edge and trimmed with diamante net layers.
As an former student of feminist theory and politics, 34-year-old Lamden aimed her clothes at the string expressive woman who dresses purely for herself.
She says she aims her clothes at women who "delight in choice and self-expression." Lamden, who used to work for Tanya Sarne's Ghost now sells Seraph desings to Liberty and Selfridges, as well as stores in Boston, Tokyo, and Hong Kong.
As with most of Britain's young fashion talent, Seraph is very dependent on export sales, with about 60 per cent of business overseas.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None