- Title: NIGERIA: Nigeria holds 50th independence celebrations.
- Date: 2nd October 2010
- Summary: FIREWORKS
- Embargoed: 17th October 2010 13:00
- Location: Nigeria
- Country: Nigeria
- Topics: Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA9UMM7R75FFL0MDZM2802LA8C9
- Story Text: Nigerians celebrate golden jubilee anniversary of gaining independence.
Nigerians celebrated their golden jubilee anniversary after gaining independence from Britain on 1st October, 1960.
A large crowd in the capital, Abuja, listened to music and watched a fireworks display.
"I feel good and am proud to be a Nigerian and I believe today is going to mark a day of greatness," said one student attending the festivities.
One man who was watching the celebrations said he wished for a change from the elites who have been ruling the country for the past 50 years; because they have failed to take the country to the greater position.
"The same cabal the same clique running Nigeria for the past 50 years that's what needs to change," Ola Balogun said.
Nigeria's Foreign Minister said over 25 African heads of state and top government officials are in Abuja, to participate in the celebrations.
"I am extremely happy Nigeria today is 50, with current stability of democracy, current development in human capital development, transition from one government to another makes the country to move forward," an engineer who was watching the fireworks said.
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan is said to be planning to honour 50 Nigerians who have contributed to the development of Nigeria .
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.