- Title: NIGERIA: SOCCER PLAYER DIES AFTER AFRICAN CUP WINNERS' CUP MATCH
- Date: 28th October 1995
- Summary: LAGOS, NIGERIA (OCTOBER 28, 1995) 1. LINE-UP OF PLAYERS BEFORE SOCCER MATCH BETWEEN NIGERIA'S JULIUS BERGER AND MAXAQUENE OF MOZAMBIQUE 2. JULIUS BERGER COME CLOSE 3. TAIWO OLOYEDE OF JULIUS BERGER SCORES 4. BAND IN CROWD 5. JULIUS BERGER COME CLOSE IN SECOND HALF GOAL/ CROWDS CHEERING Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVABU8FF7DZUPU0PPTJPHHO10AXR
- Location: LAGOS, NIGERIA
- Country: Nigeria
- Duration: 00:01:07
- Story Text: The Nigerian club Julius Berger reached the final of the African Cup Winners' Cup on Saturday (October 28), but their celebrations were cut short by the reported death of midfielder Amir Angwe.
Nigerian newspapers said on Sunday that Angwe died of a suspected heart attack, collapsing after Julius Berger's 1-0 win over Mozambican club Maxaquene in their semifinal, second leg tie at home.
Angwe, who had come on as a second half substitute, is the second Nigerian player to die in such circumstances.
International Samuel Okwaraji died after collapsing in the heat during Nigeria's World Cup qualifying tie with Angola in Lagos in 1989.
Angwe's death tempered a result which gave Nigeria a rare soccer success in a year when both their national team and club representatives in African competition have produced indifferent results.
Taiwo Oloyede scored the game's only goal in the 26th minute.
The first leg in Maputo was a goalless draw.
Any real chance Maxaquene had of becoming the first Mozambican team to reach the final of an African club competition faded after striker Cachela was sent off in the 79th minute.
Julius Berger now meet Algeria's JS Kabylie in the two-leg decider, the Nigerian side hosting the first leg of the Cup Winners' Cup final in Lagos on November 25, then travelling to Algiers for the second leg on December 8.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:12th November 1995 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None