- Title: MEXICO: Injured from Cancun hotel explosion treated at hospital
- Date: 16th November 2010
- Summary: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO (NOVEMBER 15, 2010) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL WHERE INJURED FROM HOTEL EXPLOSION ARE BEING TREATED SING FOR ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY TWO WOMEN STANDING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL TWO WOMEN COMING OUT OF HOSPITAL AMBULANCE MORE OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE HOSPITAL VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF HOSPITAL PLAYA DEL CARMEN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO (NOVEMBER 15, 2010) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SIGN FOR "PRINCESS HOTELS AND RESORTS" WHERE EXPLOSION TOOK PLACE
- Embargoed: 1st December 2010 12:00
- Location: Mexico
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes
- Reuters ID: LVA6BGDMDEYCEI8KCCQ8HXF3B8NW
- Story Text: Many of those injured by a gas explosion at a hotel on Mexico's Caribbean coast were being treated at a hospital in Cancun on Monday (November 15).
At least five Canadian tourists and two Mexican workers were killed on Sunday (November 14) when the gas explosion ripped through the restaurant of the Grand Riviera Princess hotel in the beach resort of Playa del Carmen.
A child was among the dead and another 17 people were hurt -- seven Canadians, two Americans and eight Mexicans. Two of the Canadians were seriously injured, said the attorney general for the state of Quintana Roo.
Officials from the Canadian embassy were not immediately available to comment.
Authorities said preliminary evidence pointed to an accumulation of gas beneath the floor of the restaurant. The blast blew pieces of the floor, glass and chairs out onto the manicured, palm-lined lawns of the sprawling hotel complex.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None