- Title: MEXICO: Shark attacks Russian tourist in Cancun
- Date: 26th March 2011
- Summary: LIFEGUARDS LOOKING AT BEACH RED FLAG INDICATING DANGER ON COAST
- Embargoed: 10th April 2011 13:00
- Location: Mexico, Mexico
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes,Travel / Tourism
- Reuters ID: LVA1B8XE0NKUJ3SOHB50O7ASPW19
- Story Text: A 26-year-old Russian tourist was attacked by a shark in the Mexican resort of Cancun on Thursday (March 24).
Lifeguard Benito VillaseÃ±or said the woman's screams for help caught his attention.
"The young woman started to ask for help. A bather who was swimming started to help her. We saw that there was a stain around her and we thought it was a bite of some sort," he said.
The unidentified woman has been hospitalised with a 20-centimetre (8-inch) wound in her leg.
Local news reports have alleged that the swimmer had ignored warnings of possible attacks.
This is the second attack in Cancun in a few months. A Canadian tourist also fell victim to a shark attack in February, when paddling in shallow waters outside a hotel. Nicole Moore, 38, suffered severe injuries and lost an arm.
Shark attacks are rare in Mexico.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None