- Title: FRANCE / SPAIN: France and Spain hit by heavy snow and freezing temperatures
- Date: 9th January 2010
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JANUARY 8, 2010) (REUTERS) FROZEN FOUNTAIN AND EIFFEL TOWER VARIOUS FROZEN FOUNTAIN AT TROCADERO FROZEN FOUNTAIN AT TUILERIES GARDEN VARIOUS SEAGULLS ON FROZEN FOUNTAIN MORE FROZEN FOUNTAIN
- Embargoed: 24th January 2010 12:00
- Topics: Weather
- Reuters ID: LVABUVCSNQFT8VRZLD0EQU6AGZ6I
- Story Text: South East France saw heavy snow falls on Friday (January 8), paralysing most of the road traffic. French Met office issued orange warnings until Saturday (January 9) evening.
In Avignon, up to 40 cetimetres of snow covered the Palace of the Popes.
Paris was also affected by the very cold weather which created patches of ice all around the French capital's fountains.
Road traffic started to be difficult leading drivers to take precautions.
Cold temperatures are expected to continue across France through the weekend, but there are no indications that it may begin to get warmer during the second half of next week.
In Spain, the Spanish Met Office (AEMET) said 25 provinces across the country were on amber alert because of the threat of snow, very low temperatures and high winds.
The N-11 was closed to traffic in La Jonquera (Girona) causing chaos.. It was one of more than a dozen main roads forced to close in Catalunya because of the bad weather.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None