- Title: SWITZERLAND: European cold wave freezes shores of Lake Geneva
- Date: 8th February 2012
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (FEBRUARY 7, 2012) (REUTERS) GENEVA WATER SKI CLUB WITH LAKE GENEVA IN THE BACKGROUND BATHING JETTY COVERED WITH ICE GENEVA AND THE QUAI WILSON PROMENADE COVERED WITH ICE ICE COVERED TELESCOPE AT THE QUAI WILSON PROMENADE ICE COVERED MARINA AT THE QUAI WILSON PROMENADE PEOPLE WALKING AND TAKING PHOTOS AT THE QUAI WILSON PROMENADE LAKE SHORE AND BOAT RAMPS COVERED WITH ICE SMALL BATHING JETTY COVERED WITH ICE LAKE SHORE COVERED WITH ICE.
- Embargoed: 23rd February 2012 12:00
- Location: Switzerland, Switzerland
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVAAW0DHP16Q51CLF93711AA6UKO
- Story Text: The Siberian cold that is sweeping across most of Europe has also taken its icy grip on Switzerland on Tuesday (February 7), where several days of temperatures around -10C in the daytime have caused much of the shores of Lake Geneva to be covered with thick layers of ice.
According to the Swiss federal meteorological office MeteoSwiss strong winds have hit the Western part of the Geneva lake transforming actual temperatures of around -10 to wind chills down to -25 in the daytime.
Even though the weather has not yet reached record breaking lows, the night between the 4th and 5th of February was the coldest so far this winter with temperatures below -25 being recorded by MeteoSwiss in the swiss Alpine town of Davos.
But in other parts of Switzerland the extreme conditions are good news for skiers and visitors of winter sport resorts who are experiencing more snow and more sun than normally, MeteoSwiss wrote in a statement on their website.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None