- Title: UNITED STATES : BOXER MIKE TYSON GOES TO MOSQUE ON RELEASE FROM PRISON
- Date: 25th March 1995
- Summary: PLAINFIELD AND INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA (MARCH 25, 1995) PLAINFIELD 1. SV EXTERIOR VIEW OF MOSQUE 0.07 2. SV SUPPORTERS OF MIKE TYSON HOLDING BANNERS OUTSIDE MOSQUE 0.12 3. SV TYSON EMERGING FROM MOSQUE (WEARING WHITE CAP) 0.36 4. SV TYSON GETTING INTO CAR WITH PROMOTER DON KING 0.45 5. SV CAR DRIVING OFF 1.10 INDIANAPOLIS 6. SV PRIVATE PLANE CARRYING TYSON 1.16 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 9th April 1995 13:00
- Location: PLAINFIELD AND INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA61QOJTSEAE3SPWEFMMJ1EY60H
- Story Text: Former world heavyweight boxing champion and convicted rapist Mike Tyson, who left prison at dawn on Saturday (March 25), stopped with his group at a mosque near Plainfield, Indiana, where his spiritual adviser had invited him to morning prayer.
Tyson converted to Islam while in prison, and emerged from the jail wearing a white prayer cap.
He spent an hour inside the mosque. A participant said Tyson appeared to be emotionally "overwhelmed" at the service during which thanks were offered for his freedom. Tyson had spent three years behind bars for the rape of an 18-year-old beauty pageant contestant.
Tyson's spiritual adviser Muhammad Siddeeq said the former heavyweight boxing champion prayed with Muhammad Ali, rap star M.C.
Hammer and boxing promoter Don King. Siddeeq told reporters Tyson "is a brand new person" after converting to Islam.
The former champ then boarded a private plane at the Indianapolis airport for a 45-minute flight to Ohio, where he has a large property.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None