- Title: LIBYA: Tobruk refinery only oil terminal under rebel control
- Date: 16th March 2011
- Summary: TOBRUK, LIBYA (MARCH 15, 2011) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TOBRUK OIL REFINERY IN THE EAST OF LIBYA
- Embargoed: 31st March 2011 13:00
- Location: Libya
- Country: Libya
- Topics: War / Fighting,Energy
- Reuters ID: LVAAM86YS41YW2YRSY2LC35EY9VT
- Story Text: All but one Libyan oil terminal are under central government control, the head of the Libyan oil workers' union said on Tuesday (March 14).
The Tobruk oil refinery in eastern Libya remains in the hands of rebels confirmed union chief Mohammed Abu Sittah in Tripoli.
Witnesses said on Tuesday there was still fighting between rebels and pro-Gaddafi forces in Brega, site of an oil terminal.
Claims of defeats and victory have been difficult to verify immediately and towns have changed hands several times in the past.
Muammar Gaddafi's forces have advanced steadily eastwards along the coast to retake towns captured by rebels in the early days of the insurrection against his 41-year-rule.
The poorly-equipped rebels have been outgunned by Gaddafi's tanks, artillery and warplanes and are in danger of being pushed back to Benghazi, headquarters of their provisional national council.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None