- Title: THAILAND: Fire hits oil refinery in Bangkok
- Date: 4th July 2012
- Summary: BANGKOK, THAILAND (JULY 4, 2012) (REUTERS) BANGKOK SKYLINE WITH SMOKE RISING OVER FROM REFINERY SMOKE SMOKE RISING BEHIND A BUILDING MORE OF SMOKE RISING (MUTE)
- Embargoed: 19th July 2012 13:00
- Location: Thailand
- Country: Thailand
- Topics: Disasters
- Reuters ID: LVA5RZYUB2ALQ6P8JW5K9F0Z4DOU
- Story Text: A fire broke out at an oil refinery operated by Bangchak Petroleum Pcl in central Bangkok early on Wednesday (July 4), police said.
Thai officials said there were no casualties, but are shutting down the 120,000 barrels-per-day refinery plant for at least one month.
A Bangkok police official said the fire broke out at around 7.00 a.m. (0000 GMT) and said witnesses heard an explosion.
Authorities later said the fire at the refinery was now under control.
Officials said they suspect the blast occurred after equipment in a kerosene stripper in a crude distillation unit was ignited.
Authorities added that it took almost two hours for fire engines to put out the fire.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None