- Title: JAMAICA: LONDON OLYMPICS 2012 - Fans celebrate Usain Bolt's Olympic win
- Date: 6th August 2012
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (English) LITTLE GIRL SAYING: "I love Bolt! Number one for me!"
- Embargoed: 21st August 2012 13:00
- Location: Jamaica
- Country: Jamaica
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA5YFZ7NUNFGITJR4FM6DU4ILB7
- Story Text: Usain Bolt retained his Olympic 100 metres title in spectacular style on Sunday (August 5) when the Jamaican scorched down the track in 9.63 seconds, the second-fastest time ever run, setting off wild celebrations all over his home country.
Fans gathered at bars to watch the race and celebrate their hero after another dominating performance on the world's biggest stage.
"There are no words to express, we're in the house that Bolt built," said one fan.
Bolt's 9.58 seconds in winning the 2009 world championship title is the only quicker time and Sunday's brilliant display as he made up a massive early deficit proved he had completely recovered from the hamstring problems that had given a sliver of hope to his rivals.
World champion Yohan Blake made it a Jamaican 1-2 when he won silver in 9.75 seconds and 2004 champion Justin Gatlin of the United states grabbed bronze in 9.79 as the first seven all broke 10 seconds.
"Elated for him, so that's the reason I came to his place, to celebrate the moment, a wonderful moment for Jamaica fiftieth," said another fan, referring to the small island country celebrating it's 50th anniversary of gaining independence.
Bolt will now bid to complete an unprecedented double-double by retaining his 200 metres title and will also seek a sixth sprint gold in the 4x100metres relay.
Compatriot Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce also retained her women's 100-metre title to give Jamaica a flying start in their sprint showdown with the United States.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.