- Title: TAIWAN: EIGHT COUPLES GET MARRIED IN A LUXURY TOILET
- Date: 14th January 1996
- Summary: TAICHUNG, TAIWAN (JANUARY 14, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV EXTERIORS OF ONE MILLION U.S. DOLLAR PUBLIC TOILET/ INTERIOR 0.18 2. SV VARIOUS OF COUPLES OUTSIDE TOILET PREPARING FOR CEREMONY 0.31 3. SV FORMER TAIPEI MAYOR HUANG TA-CHOU HOSTING CEREMONY 0.40 4. SV COUPLES WALKING 0.47 5. SV COUPLES POSING 0.51 6. SV COUPLES INSIDE TOILET 0.55 7. SV BRIDEGROOM LEE WONG-TSONG PRETENDS TO RELIEVE HIMSELF WHILE HIS BRIDE CHIU CHIU-KUEI LOOKS ON 1.02 8. SV GROOM CARRYING BRIDE IN BATHROOM 1.07 9. SCU COUPLE KISSING 1.13 10. SCU BRIDE CHIU CHIU-KUEI SAYING THAT THE BATHROOM IS VERY SIGNIFICANT FOR THE COUPLE AS THEY CREATED IT (MANDARIN) 1.29 11. SCU BRIDE LIN SHOU-KUI SAYING THAT THE BATHROOM IS VERY ATTRACTIVE AND THEY ARE GLAD THE WEDDING WAS HELD THERE (MANDARIN) 1.46 12. SV WEDDING BANQUET 1.57 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 29th January 1996 12:00
- Location: TAICHUNG, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Reuters ID: LVA25LI5YPJV6UT4GLYKDG2TUC6
- Story Text: Eight Taiwanese couples took part in a bizarre wedding ceremony in Taichung, Taiwan on Sunday (January 14) - taking their vows inside a luxurious toilet.
Former Taipei Mayor Huang Ta-chou hosted the wedding ceremony watched by some 2,000 people.
The public toilet, situated inside a park in the city, was designed by Chiu Chiu-kuei, a 29-year-old bride, and built by her husband-to-be Lee Wong-tsong.
"Since the bathroom is our creation, it holds a lot of meaning and so we decided to hold the ceremony here," Chiu said.
The couple said the bathroom, complete with elaborate designs, had cost about one million United States (US) dollars to build.
Seven other couples joined them for the ceremony in front of the toilet entrance, before moving inside to pose for photographs.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None