- Title: IRAQ: OIL PIPELINE NEAR BAIJI ATTACKED
- Date: 21st December 2004
- Summary: (U3) NEAR BAIJI, IRAQ (DECEMBER 21, 2004) (REUTERS- ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS OF COMPLEX OF OIL PIPELINE ON FIRE 0.54 2. WIDE OF BIG BLACK CLOUD OF SMOKE 1.07 3. VARIOUS CLOSE UP OF THE PIPELINE ON FIRE/ BIG CLOUDS OF BLACK SMOKE RISING FROM IT 1.42 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 5th January 2005 12:00
- Location: NEAR BAIJI, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVACFF5TX2MBE7EZY1TK1993OL99
- Story Text: Saboteurs set ablaze oil pipline complex near the
city of Baiji.
Saboteurs have set a complex of oil pipelines ablaze
in northern Iraq but exports on the line had already been
halted by a separate attack at the weekend, oil officials
and witnesses said on Tuesday (December 21).
A large explosion ripped through the Baiji complex on
Monday (December 20) night, the officials said.
The complex includes the main pipeline to the northern
export terminal at Turkey's Ceyhan port and domestic links
from refineries in the oil city of Kirkuk to a nearby power
The blaze could take a couple of days to extinguish, an
official from the North Oil Company said.
Saboteurs blew up a section of the northern export
pipeline, which can carry 500,000 barrels per day, for the
second week in a row on Saturday, halting oil flows to
Another domestic oil pipeline was hit near Baiji on the
same day. A wave of attacks has crippled refineries and
caused severe fuel shortages and electricity outages,
especially in Baghdad.
Sabotage against Iraq's northern oil facilities has
been intense since U.S. forces attacked the Sunni city of
Falluja, near Baghdad, last month.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None