- Title: RUSSIA: BILLIONAIRE VLADIMIR BRYNTSALOV LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN FOR PRESIDENCY
- Date: 20th February 1996
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (FEBRUARY 20 AND 21, 1996/ RECENT) (REUTERS TELEVISION - ACCESS ONLY) (FEBRUARY 21) 1. WIDE SHOT OF THE KREMLIN 0.04 2. SIGN READING 'WELCOME TO MOSCOW' (ENGLISH) 0.07 3. WIDE SHOT OF THE PRESS CONFERENCE HALL, INTERIOR 0.11 4. SV BRYNTSALOV SAYING THAT MONEY IS MAN'S GREATEST INVENTION (RUSSIAN) 0.27 5. SV EXT FEREIN SHOP 0.29 6. SLV INT PEOPLE BUYING MEDICINES 0.33 7. WIDE SHOT NIGHT, EXT OF THE ENTERPRISE FEREIN 0.38 8. SV WORKERS IN THE ENTERPRISE, ASSEMBLY LINE, PRODUCTS PRODUCED (3 SHOTS) 0.51 9. SV BRYNTSALOV AND HIS WIFE NATALYA ARRIVING HOME 0.55 10.SV BRYNTSALOV AND HIS WIFE TAKING OFF THEIR COATS, MAID HELPING THEM 0.59 11.SLV BRYNTSALOV IN HIS WORKING ROOM AT HOME 1.08 12.GV INT KITCHEN WITH CHEF / SV BRYNTSALOV CARRYING DAUGHTER TALKING TO CHEF (2 SHOTS) 1.24 13.SV WIFE, DAUGHTER YELENA, SON ALYOSHA 1.32 14.SV BRYNTSALOV AND FAMILY HAVING A MEAL (3 SHOTS) 1.43 15.LV NATALYA AND DAUGHTER AT THE PIANO 1.50 16.SV BRYNTSALOV SPEAKING AT HIS HOME (RUSSIAN) 2.02 17.SV PHOTOGRAPH OF BRYNTSALOV WITH RUSSIAN PATRIARCH 2.04 18.WIDE SHOT OF THE BUILDING OF RUSSIAN SOCIAL FOUNDATION 2.09 (FEBRUARY 20, 1996) 19.SV BEVTZ SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 2.18 (RECENT) 20.VIEW OF A MOSCOW STREET, LV EXT OF A ROLLS ROYCE SALOON 2.22 21.SLV/SV BENTLEY CAR / SIGN "SOLD" ON THE WINDSHIELD / MAN SITTING IN CAR / CU 'B' (4 SHOTS) 2.34 22.LV/SV EXT/INT VARIOUS OF LUXURY SHOPS, CLOTHING AND FOOD (7 SHOTS) 3.00 23.LV NIGHT EXTERIOR OF NIGHT CLUB 3.03 24.SV YOUNG PEOPLE DRINKING CHAMPAGNE IN A NIGHT CLUB (2 SHOTS) 3.09 SEQUENCE 19 TRANSCRIPT: BEVTZ: "NEW RUSSIANS IS A HIGHLY DIVERSE GROUP, IT'S A NEW SOCIAL GROUP WHICH HAS EMERGED DURING THE LAST FEW YEARS, IN THE CAUSE OF REFORMS." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA1T9FY66PJX2XFXUHKHIKR456Y
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:03:10
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Self-declared billionaire Vladimir Bryntsalov launched a whirlwind campaign for Russia's presidency on Wednesday (February 20), giving out caviar and promising wealth for all in a bid to storm the Kremlin.
Bryntsalov flashed a gold and diamond watch as he explained at a furious pace to journalists gathered at the Moscow headquarters of his pharmaceuticals firm Ferein how Russia could spend its way to success.
"We've been reforming our country for five years and we have not created consumers...a consumer needs money. Money is man's greatest invention," he said, pulling his wallet out of his pocket and giving it a slap to illustrate his point.
The 49-year-old businessman started business life in 1987 by forming a honey and royal jelly cooperative. In 1990 he took over a Moscow pharmaceutical company, Ferein, when it turned from state monopoly into a private enterprise.
The company won a third of the local pharmaceuticals market and pays its workers $800, many times the average monthly wage.
Asked by Reuters to estimate his personal fortune, he said he would not sell his firm for less than $10 billion.
Speaking in his luxurious banqueting room with marble floors, stained glass windows, velvet and silk curtains and mirrored ceiling, Bryntsalov said that the capital he had accumulated needs protection and that's what prompted him to enter politics.
Bryntsalov is one of more than 30 candidates who have either launched their own campaigns or been put forward by supporters for the June 16 presidential poll.
Socio-political analyst at the Russian Social Foundation Alexander Bevtz says Bryntsalov represents a newly-born social class in Russia, the New Russians, who acquired their immense wealth amidst the chaos of economic reforms and changes introduced in the country.
Bevtz described the New Russians as very clever, very strong and striving for political power in order to consolidate their position.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th March 1996 12:00