DENMARK: AT LEAST FOUR INJURED IN FIGHTING BETWEEN SUPPORTERS OF ENGLISH SOCCER CLUB ARSENAL AND TURKISH...
- Title: DENMARK: AT LEAST FOUR INJURED IN FIGHTING BETWEEN SUPPORTERS OF ENGLISH SOCCER CLUB ARSENAL AND TURKISH GALATASARAY IN COPENHAGEN
- Date: 16th May 2000
- Summary: COPENHAGEN, DENMARK (MAY 16, 2000) (REUTERS) 1. TRACK RIOT POLICE RUNNING DOWN STREET 0.14 2. SLV ARSENAL FANS HERDED INTO BAR BY SECURITY; TURISH FANS SHOUTING AND CONFRONTING RIOT POLICE AS THEY TRY TO GET AT ARSENAL FANS; MANY PRESS PHOTOGRAPHERS AT SCENE 0.35 3. MV GALATSARAY FANS CONTINUING CHANTING (2 SHOTS) 0.58 4. MV SCEURITY BEHIND GLASS DOOR OF BAR WITH ARSENAL FANS INSIDE 1.05 5. LV GALATSARAY FANS NEAR SHOPS, MEDIA 1.11 6. MV GALATSARAY FANS JEERING 1.19 7. MV GALATSARAY FAN WITH FLAG BEING CHASED BY POLICE OFFICER 1.32 8. MV INJURED GALATSARAY FAN ON GROUND BEING AIDED 1.52 9. MV POLICE 2.00 10. SLV GALATSARAY FANS RUNNING 2.02 11. MV INJURED MAN ON GROUND, POLICE 2.10 12. MV POLICE HELPING MAN UP 2.19 13. CU BLOOD ON GROUND 2.23 14. MV POLICE 2.28 15. MV GALATSARAY FANS CHANTING AND JEERING AT ARSENAL FANS 2.37 16. SLV BIKE BEING TROWN/ BOTTLE BEING THROWN 2.51 17. WIDE OF STREET, POLICE DOGS BEING BOUGHT IN TO PUSH BACK GALATSARAY FANS 3.10 18. MV MAN KNIFED IN BACK LYING ON GROUND, BLOOD POURING FROM HIS BACK 3.41 19. MV POLICE WITH DOGS/ FANS 3.52 20. SLV KNIFE VICTIM LYING ON GROUND BEING ASSISTED 3.58 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA6KDMQLS8JE5VB9Z95RZ0CYP2N
- Location: COPENHAGEN, DENMARK
- Country: Denmark
- Duration: 00:04:08
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: At least four people have been injured, one seriously,
and six arrested in fighting between supporters of English
soccer club Arsenal and Turkish Galatasaray in Copenhagen.
Thousands more supporters of each side are expected to
flood into the Danish capital on Wednesay (May 17) for the
evening clash between the two teams in the UEFA Cup Final.
The fighting erupted around midnight (2200 GMT Tuesday),
during which at least four people were injured, with one
appparently knifed in the back.
A fan, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that the
severely bleeding man had been stabbed by a Turkish supporter.
It was not possible to obtain independent confirmation.
Around 1,000 Turks and a few hundred English supporters
had been milling around downtown Copenhagen, but police said
it was unclear how many had actually taken part in the
The violence began after around 50 Arsenal supporters were
inside the bar and around 250 Turks outside, trying to entice
Clashes continued between groups of around 20 to 30
English and Turkish fans after Galatasaray supporters began
chasing the English leaving the bar. The two sides threw
glasses, bottles and bicycles at each other.
Police in riot gear, along with dogs, arrived quickly but
had problems keeping the rival groups apart.
The UEFA Cup Final -- one of the highlights of the
European club soccer season - is scheduled to kick off at 8:45
p.m. (1845 GMT) in Copenhagen's Parken stadium on Wednesday.
More than 10,000 Galatasaray fans from Turkey and some
12,500 Arsenal supporters from England are expected in
Copenhagen for the match.
Danish police are out in force, preparing for the worst
following the stabbing to death of two English fans of Leeds
United, beaten by Galatasaray in the semi-finals, last month
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:31st May 2000 13:00