- Title: CYPRUS: TOP HOLIDAY RESORT OF FAMAGUSTA DESERTED AFTER FIGHTING.
- Date: 7th August 1974
- Summary: 1. GV PAN Deserted beach in Famagusta 0.10 2. SV Chairs stacked on beach 0.13 3. GV Idle boats 0.16 4. GV Salaminia Tower Hotel partly wrecked 0.22 5. SV Name on hotel 0.24 6. GV PAN UP Wrecked hotel Salamina 0.34 7. SV PAN Another wrecked hotel reduced to rubble and burnt out car 0.43 8. GV PAN OVER Hotel with shell and bullet holes on walls 0.58 9. SV PAN OVER Wreckage at entrance TO hotel and debris over floor 1.07 10. GV Venus Beach Hotel with broken windows 1.09 11. GV Deserted beach and idel boats 1.20 12. GV Main tourist shopping area 1.28 13. GV Empty seats outside cafes (2 shots) 1.31 14. LV Deserted gift shops (2 shots) 1.41 15. SV PAN U.N. patrol truck through streets 1.50 Initials BB/1739 RS/AW/BB/1800 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA2HM2O65C2NLNTWEOSLW60B3KC
- Location: FAMAGUSTA, CYPRUS
- Country: Cyprus
- Duration: 00:01:52
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: The sunny beaches of Famagusts, packed to capacity only three weeks ago, now lie deserted as fears of a new crisis increase. Once the most popular package-tour resort in the eastern Mediterranean this ancient walled city was quiet and empty of tourists on Monday (5 August). Earlier, ten hotels had been bombed by Turkish forces and clashed had broken out between the Greek and Turkish communities.
With the Turkish invasion on the 20 July and the subsequent bombing of the resort five days later, most holidaymakers, including many West Germans and Scandinavians, fled from the town of Famagusta. Three thousand hotel staff are now out of work. Cafes and shops are sued only by local people.
After a three-hour gun battle on Monday (5 August) between Greek and Turkish communities, the Turkish Cypriots of Famagusta, bottled up in the semi-ghetto conditions of the old quarter of this ancient walled city, moved forward to secure control of the port, and yesterday (6 August) a U.N. peace force of Swedish, British and Canadian troops were trying to prevent the situation destroying the fragile grace on the Island. As talks continued the atmospheres in Famagusts was reported to be calm.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:22nd August 1974 13:00