- Title: GREECE: Greek train derails, seriously injuring six.
- Date: 8th March 2008
- Summary: (W1) LARISSA, GREECE (MARCH 7 2008) (REUTERS) RESCUE WORKERS STANDING BESIDE DERAILED TRAIN RESCUE WORKER CARRIES GIRL FROM TRAIN, COMFORTS HER ON TRACK RESCUE WORKERS CLIMB ON OVERTURNED CARRIAGE AMBULANCE WAITS BY TRACK WOMAN IN NECKBRACE BEING HELPED FROM TRAIN AMBULANCE DRIVES OFF TRAIN AND EMERGENCY VEHICLES SEEN FROM ROAD TRAIN PASSENGERS WAIT BY ROADSIDE EMERGENCY VEHICLES DERAILED ENGINE VARIOUS OF DERAILED TRAIN
- Reuters ID: LVA9UMSSF15EMUWANFB4DTYCW1W8
- Location: Greece
- Country: Greece
- Duration: 00:03:15
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes
- Story Text: A cross country passenger train has derailed in central Greece seriously injuring six people.
A Greek train derailed late on Friday (March 7), seriously injuring six people.
The passenger train was travelling from Athens to the northeastern town of Alexandroupolis with a stoppover in Thessaloniki with 174 people on board.
It flew off the tracks close to midnight near the central Greek town of Larissa and at least five wagons had derailed, police said.
Rescue crews smashed the windows of the wagons to rescue people inside and six people were reported to be seriously injured, at least 20 slightly injured.
Ambulances transferred passengers to local hospitals but no deaths had been reported.
Authorities are investigating the cause of the crash, but believe a malfunction in the railroad switching mechanism may be responsible.
The accident came at the start of a long weekend as many were travelling to participate in Carnival festivities around the country ahead of Clean Monday, the first day of the Greek Orthodox Lenten season..
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 2008 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.