- Title: PHILIPPINES: Rescue workers carry bodies away from Manila plane crash site
- Date: 11th December 2011
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (DECEMBER 10, 2011) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF PLANE CRASH SITE IN SLUM VARIOUS OF INVESTIGATORS INSPECTING WRECKAGE RESIDENTS ON TOP OF SHANTY HOMES NEAR WRECKAGE SITE (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEDICAL LEGAL OFFICE CHIEF INSPECTOR, BENJAMIN LARA, SAYING: "Right now our team is conducting disaster victims identification operations. We have so far retrieved a number of casualties and we are preparing them for further examination." VARIOUS OF POLICE INVESTIGATORS WORKING BEHIND POLICE CORDON MEN MOVING COVERED BODY ON STRETCHER POLICE BEHIND CORDON LINE MEN MOVING COVERED BODY RESIDENTS IN FRONT OF POLICE CORDON
- Reuters ID: LVABOOEH0QA878LVS6KUGZMB2WC7
- Location: Philippines, Philippines
- Country: Philippines
- Duration: 00:01:13
- Topics: Disasters
- Story Text: A light aircraft crashed into a crowded slum near Manila's international airport on Saturday (December 10), killing 13 people including three children.
Ten others were injured and three people were unaccounted for after the twin-engine, four-seater plane crashed shortly after take-off, local police officials said.
All three on board were killed.
"Right now our team is conducting disaster victims identification operations. We have so far retrieved a number of casualties and we are preparing them for further examination," Medial Legal Office Chief Inspector, Benjamin Lara, said.
Paranaque city mayor, Florencio Bernabe, said hundreds of residents were left homeless by a fire sparked by the crash.
The fire destroyed dozens of shanty homes and part of a three-storey school building.
Around 50 families have been evacuated.
Police investigators said the pilot contacted the airport terminal and requested an emergency landing a few minutes before the crash.
Authorities are still investigating the cause of the crash and are working to identify the victims.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th December 2011 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None