ARGENTINA: Argentina reports at least 49 dead and 550 injured in morning train crash.Record ID: 382759
- Title: ARGENTINA: Argentina reports at least 49 dead and 550 injured in morning train crash.
- Date: 23rd February 2012
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (FEBRUARY 22, 2012) (REUTERS) INJURED BEING TAKEN AWAY IN STRETCHER AMBULANCE PULLING OUT PERSON BEING LOADED ONTO HELICOPTER VARIOUS OF HELICOPTER LEAVING AS OTHER ARRIVES
- Reuters ID: LVACZNU3JR7RBC15LB7UHPRMEU94
- Location: Argentina, Argentina
- Country: Argentina
- Duration: 00:00:45
- Topics: Accidents,Transport
- Story Text: A train crash in Buenos Aires on Wednesday (February 22) killed 49 people and left around 550 injured, police said.
The train apparently had problems with its brakes and sped into the Once train station during morning rush hour, slamming into the buffers. The impact caused the second car to impale the first car.
Rescue workers tried to pull people from between the crushed cars, but many were killed on impact.
Hundreds were put on stretchers and sent to local hospitals as witnesses told their harrowing stories.
"I was shocked. It was full of blood. There were injured people everywhere, bodies flying," said one man with a bandaged nose.
"People started to break windows and get out however they could. Then I saw the engine destroyed and the train driver trapped amongst the steel. There were a lot of people hurt, a lot of kids, elderly," said another man.
The accident occurred during morning rush hour on the notoriously packed Sarmiento line, used by commuters coming into the city from the eastern suburbs.
Thousands of people travel into Argentina's capital city from the suburbs everyday on the accident-prone trains.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:9th March 2012 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None