- Title: INDONESIA: MANDALA AIRLINES PLANE CRASHES IN MEDAN AFTER TAKEOFF.
- Date: 5th September 2005
- Summary: (BN09) MEDAN, INDONESIA (SEPTEMBER 5, 2005) (REUTERS) 1. WS: OF CRASH SITE. 0.03 2. WS: DEBRIS FROM PLANE ON FIRE. 0.07 3. TRACK: OF RESCUE WORKERS CARRYING BODIES AWAY ON STRETCHERS. 0.14 4. MV: RESCUERS TRYING TO RETRIEVE BODY FROM WRECKAGE. 0.21 5. WS: MORE OF BURNING DEBRIS AND PEOPLE SEARCHING AMONGST THE WRECKAGE. 0.26 6. MV/CU: RESCUE WORKER SIFTING THROUGH DEBRIS HOLDING BELONGINGS. (2 SHOTS) 0.35 7. WS: PEOPLE MOVING CAR. 0.43 8. VARIOUS: MORE OF DEBRIS/SALVAGE WORK. (3 SHOTS) 1.01 9. HAS/PAN: OF SITE. 1.09 (BN08) JAKARTA, INDONESIA (SEPTEMBER 5, 2005) (REUTERS) 10. PAN: OF ARRIVAL TERMINAL AT JAKARTA'S SOEKARNO-HATTA AIRPORT. 1.17 11. WS: MANDALA AIRLINES COUNTER. 1.22 12. SCU: AIRLINES OFFICIALS REGISTERING NAMES OF FAMILY MEMBERS AND RELATIVES WHO WILL LEAVE FOR MEDAN TO RETRIEVE BODY OF LOVED ONES KILLED IN CRASH. 1.27 13. CU: OF NAMES. 1.33 14. MV: RELATIVES IN WAITING AREA 1.38 15. SCU: OF WOMAN CRYING. 1.47 16. SCU: RELATIVES ON MOBILE PHONES AND WOMAN CRYING ON PHONE. 1.53 17. CU: WOMAN CRYING. 2.06 18. SCU: (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) TENDY, BROTHER OF WOMAN ON PLANE, SAYING: "I've been waiting for my sister here. I'm not at the airlines' headquarters. Why would I go there for information? I've been here from 10 until noon, that's all I know to do." 2.21 19. WS: ARRIVAL AREA. 2.25 20. CU: MORE OF RELATIVES CRYING. 2.32 21. MV: MAN WATCHING NEWS ON TELEVISION. 2.38 22. TELEVISION SCREEN SHOWING SCENE OF CRASH. 2.44 (BN10) MEDAN, INDONESIA (SEPTEMBER 5, 2005) (METRO TV - NO ACCESS INDONESIA) 23. INDONESIAN NEWS READER 2.52 24. CU: (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) ROHADI SITEPU, SURVIVOR, SAYING "I stayed conscious until I reached the hospital. What kept me fighting for life is my wife whom I saw manage to escape from the left side of the plane. I saw flame and I somehow by chance ended up in a grassy field. (Q: WHAT WENT THROUGH YOUR MIND?) I was very scared. It's beyond any imagination. (Q: WHAT HAPPENED AFTER TAKEOFF?) The plane actually has taken off, but somehow it started to shake heavily and swerved to the left and bang - there's a ball of fire coming from the front of the plane towards the end. Everything was happening slowly by the second. (Q: HOW MANY PEOPLE DID YOU SEE SURVIVE THE CRASH?) From our side of the plane there are maybe 10 people who survived and although they suffered some injuries -- thank God -- they managed to escape." 4.27 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA8P9G56I1FP4WMYVNNTVWBJRD5
- Location: MEDAN, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Duration: 00:04:33
- Story Text: Indonesian plane crashes shortly after takeoff
killing around 130 people.
A domestic airliner crashed in a busy residential
area of Indonesia's third biggest city just after take-off
on Monday, killing about 100 people aboard and 30 bystanders in an
inferno on the ground.
Mandala Airlines officials said 13 passengers sitting
in the tail section of the Boeing 737-200 survived the
crash in Medan. A local government spokesman said up to 17
might have survived.
The plane was carrying 112 passengers and five crew on
a flight to the Indonesian capital, Jakarta.
Among those onboard the flight were the North Sumatra
governor and his predecessor.
Fierce flames licked at the wreckage as it lay on one
of Medan's main roads before fire crews were able to
extinguish the blazes. Plumes of thick black smoke rose
into the air.
Some 20 homes were also damaged by fire.
Relatives of the passengers on board the ill-fated
Boeing 737-200 watched as news bulletins showed the plane
broken into pieces and burnt beyond recognition.
"I've been waiting for my sister here. I'm not at the
airlines' headquarters. Why would I go there for
information? I've been here from 10 until noon, that's all
I know to do," said Tendy, who was waiting for the arrival
of his older sister when the news about the crash broke.
"I stayed conscious even until I reached the hospital.
What kept me fighting for life is my wife whom I saw manage
to escape from the left side of the plane. I saw flame and
I somehow by chance ended up in a grassy field. I was very
scared. It's beyond any imagination," survivor Rohadi
Sitepu told Metro TV.
Mandala Airlines said the plane had been built in 1981
and was fit for eight more years of flying.
The plane came down 500 metres (1,640 feet) from the
runway in Medan, Transport Minister Hatta Radjasa told El
Shinta radio station. It was en route to Jakarta.
Medan, 1,425 km (885 miles) northwest of Jakarta, is
the main gateway for aid into tsunami-hit Aceh province.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:20th September 2005 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None