- Title: ITALY: ELEVEN DIE IN FOG CRASH ON 'HIGHWAY OF THE SUN'
- Date: 5th January 1977
- Summary: 1. GV PAN FROM traffic on the Rome-Naples Autostrada del Sol, Italy, TO crashed vehicles 0.14 2. SV Police and rescue workers around crashed trucks 0.26 3. CUs PAN FROM crashed truck TO wrecked cars (2 shots) 0.43 4. SV Car smashed into back of truck AND PAN TO GVs emergency coffins on roadside (3 shots) 0.58 5. CU PAN FROM child's belongings to remains of car 1.05 Initials OS Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA4HUWWR3HPE47VSJ2XGUJ2DNB1
- Location: ROME-NAPLES MOTORWAY, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:01:06
- Story Text: Eleven people have died in a multiple crash on an Italian motorway between Rome and Naples. Twenty-one others suffered serious injuries. Winter fog has been blamed for the tragedy on the motorway, known as Autostrada del Sol -- Highway of the Sun.
SYNOPSIS: The crash occurred when a small passenger car braked sharply on entering a fog bank. Another car hit it from behind. But it was just a minor collision and nobody was hurt.
As the drivers got out to review the damage, other cars and trucks ran into them. Altogether 22 vehicles were involved in the crash.
Rescue workers and policemen had to cut their way through tangled wreckage in a search for survivors. They quickly realised the death toll would be high.
Children were among the dead, and some foreign cars were involved.
The south-bound carriage of the motorway was closed for several hours, with a dense fog hampering the rescue operation.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:20th January 1977 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None