- Title: GERMANY: Hugh Jackman presents his latest X-men movie in Berlin
- Date: 19th April 2009
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (APRIL 18, 2009) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR HUGH JACKMAN, SAYING "He is a mutant and he has sort of special powers, which are also a burden for him, but he can heal himself. So, for the first three X-Men movies we presumed he was 30, 25, we presumed he was 30, 35, but in reality he was probably hundred years olf. He Had no idea of his past, no one else did, so he was a little lost. In this movie we got to fill in that, we got to see how he evolved from this sickly, kind of timid little kid really to becoming this tough, animalistic character that he is and I think that was great for mwe having that back story and I think, to be able to have a whole movie to explore one character meant that we could go a little deeper and we really could understand who he was better than in the X-Men movies."
- Embargoed: 4th May 2009 13:00
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Reuters ID: LVADQ0CU0X3Z6N5D0HFQO6QJ1FEC
- Story Text: Australian actor Hugh Jackman visited the German capital Berlin on Saturday (April 18) to promote his latest movie "X-Men Origins - Wolverine".
The fourth part of the X-Men series based on the famous Marvel comics, goes back to the beginning of the story and explores how Wolverine became the Superhero he is known for. Jackman, who currently holds the title "Sexiest man alive", said during a news conference in Berlin that he would see his character Wolverine as particulary sexy.
"Wolverine is, I can't imagine the guy ever looking into a mirror.
I didn't want him to look like a Calvin Klein model. My idea of the character in fact is to look a little bit animalistic, a little, very powerful. I wanted that almost uncomfortabele feeling when you see him, dangerous, powerful. For some people that might be sexy, sure for others it's not. I leave that up to the viewer, but I don't see many models these days with that much facial hair or body hair walking around to be honest", he said. In order to get in shape for the movie, Jackman had to follow a tough training regime.
"My secret to training, funny enough, I should put put out an Info-merchial, "The Wolverine workout", because I used to kind of imagine myself as Wolverine when I was training, probably looked a little strange to be honest. I did get a few looks and a couple of people saying if I could keep the noise down a little bit. But somehow, if I imagined myself as Wolverine I used to train a little harder", Jackman added.
For Jackman it was the first time, he was not only involved as an actor, but also as a producer. During the last part of post-production a half finished version illegally appeared in the internet.
"No one wants a half finished version of their creation out there and I was with these people who were working their guts out to try and finish the movie and make it as great as it could be and so, that was really tough.
And then, almost immediately within 24 hours I was shocked how sophisticated the studio system and the FBI are tracking down these people and shutting it down. And also, there is no way we could have shut it down to the degree we did without the support of the online community. I would say 95, 98 percent of the online community just immediately condemned it and wouldn't be part of it", Jackman said in an interview with Reuters TV.
The film will be released in Germany on the 29th of April.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None