ITALY: STING AND ELTON JOHN SING A PSALM AT THE MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR THEIR FRIEND, SLAIN FASHION DESIGNER GIANNI VERSACERecord ID: 387070
- Title: ITALY: STING AND ELTON JOHN SING A PSALM AT THE MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR THEIR FRIEND, SLAIN FASHION DESIGNER GIANNI VERSACE
- Date: 22nd July 1997
- Summary: MILAN, ITALY (JULY 22, 1997) (REUTERS) ( * BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) EXTERIOR MILAN DUOMO (CATHEDRAL) WHERE GIANNI VERSACE MEMORIAL MASS WAS HELD INTERIOR PEOPLE ARRIVING AT CATHEDRAL ROCK STAR STING AND WIFE TRUDI STYLER ARRIVING FOR MASS (TRUDI WEARING A BLACK VEIL OVER HEAD) DIANA PRINCESS OF WALES ARRIVING SUPERMODEL CARLA BRUNI ARRIVING STING CHATTING TO DIANA WHO WAS SEATED NEXT TO ELTON JOHN DONATELLA AND SANTO VERSACE ARRIVING SUPERMODEL NAOMI CAMPBELL ARRIVING DIANA COMFORTING WEEPING ELTON JOHN/ DAVID FURNISH AT HIS SIDE CANDLES IN CATHEDRAL ELTON JOHN WEEPING, TAKING OFF HIS SPECTACLES AND WIPING HIS EYES, COMFORTED BY HIS PARTNER DAVID FURNSH PRIEST GIVING BLESSING VERSACE FAMILY WITH SANTO AND SISTER DONATELLA STING AND ELTON JOHN GENUFLECTING AT ALTAR AND WALKING TO MICROPHONES
- Reuters ID: LVA92YZ8LQ8FUMJJF3ZF7Y6STC6G
- Location: MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:01:31
- Topics: Entertainment,Religion
- Story Text: Sting and Elton John have sung a psalm at the memorial service for their friend, slain fashion designer Gianni Versace.
Celebrities from around the world joined Italy's fashion elite in Milan to pay tribute to Versace.
Close friends of Versace began arriving at his Milan residence on Tuesday (July 22) where his family, including brother Santo and sister Donatella, received them.
The world of fashion was represented by supermodels Naomi Campbell and Carla Bruni as well as top Italian designers as Giorgio Armani and Valentino.
Britain's Princess Diana flew in for the memorial service - Gianni Versace was one of her favourite stylists and a personal friend.
The memorial mass was held in Milan's huge gothic Roman Catholic cathedral.
Some 2,000 people packed the 600-year-old cathedral in the first public memorial to Versace in his native land.
Shops in the heart of the city's fashion district were closed during the hour-long service.
As members of the congregation took holy communion, Elton John and Sting sung "The Lord's My Shepherd". Earlier, Elton was overcome with grief and was comforted by Diana.
Versace, who was 50, was shot dead by a lone gunman on the steps of his Miami Beach mansion a week ago.
Police have so far been unable to find their chief suspect, alleged gay serial killer Andrew Cunanan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th August 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None