SOUTH AFRICA: AMERICAN 70S SUPERGROUP TOTO ROCK JOHANNESBURG IN A SELL-OUT CONCERTRecord ID: 387321
- Title: SOUTH AFRICA: AMERICAN 70S SUPERGROUP TOTO ROCK JOHANNESBURG IN A SELL-OUT CONCERT
- Date: 11th November 1997
- Summary: TOTO PERFORMING "ROSANNA" TOTO PERFORMING "HOLD THE LINE"
- Reuters ID: LVA7Y2BXWTBTKWJM1YXHTRO8OP5J
- Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
- Country: South Africa
- Duration: 00:03:38
- Topics: Entertainment
- Story Text: American rock group, Toto, thrilled Johannesburg on Tuesday (November 11) on the opening night of their South African tour.
The crowded Standard Bank arena thundered its approval as the band took to the stage, singer Steve Lukather, greeting fans with their hugely successful mega hit "Rosanna", which when released stayed at the number two spot in the American charts for five consecutive weeks.
It had taken the band, who in the 70's and 80's generated mega hits like "Rosanna" and "Hold The Line",twenty years to get to South Africa.
This tour is especially poignant after Toto's only worldwide number one hit in 1982, which was aptly titled "Africa".
With Lukather, on guitar and vocals, David Paich on keyboards, Michael Porcaro on bass and, the newest addition to the band, Simon Phillips on drums, they delivered the old favourites, much to the great delight of the audience.
Phillips joined Toto in 1992 after founding member Jeff Porcaro died.
Toto was originally formed in 1978, initially as a one-off recording project, but the talent was obvious right from the start, with the group winning a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist.
However, Toto is perhaps best known for their triumphant sweep of six Grammy Awards in 1982. Their album "Toto IV" was named "Album of the Year" and "Best Engineered Recording" amd the single "Rosanna" won "Record of the Year"and "Best Vocal Arrangement".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th November 1997 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.