UK: POPULAR BRITISH CHILDREN'S SHOW CHARACTERS THE TELETUBBIES RELEASE THEIR FIRST SINGLE "SAY EH-OH"Record ID: 387368
- Title: UK: POPULAR BRITISH CHILDREN'S SHOW CHARACTERS THE TELETUBBIES RELEASE THEIR FIRST SINGLE "SAY EH-OH"
- Date: 1st December 1997
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (DECEMBER 1, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) EXTERIOR OF HMV MUSIC STORE IN LONDON MUSIC FANS IN STORE LOOKING AT DISCS TELETUBBIES DISCS ON SHELVES
- Reuters ID: LVA84W6JFILHS7PDQKSN9Z167N6T
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:00:25
- Topics: Entertainment
- Story Text: - Not satisfied with being a hit with Britain's pre-schoolers through their television show, the Teletubbies are aiming for pop chart domination with the release of their first single, "Teletubbies say Eh-oh!." The phenomenal success of the children's television characters may seem unusual in markets where they are yet to appear - but the Teletubbies have attained cult status in the UK.
The colourful foursome are also striking a chord with children overseas, with the BBC series soon to appear in more than 40 countries.
The Tubbies, who speak in a strange, child-like language, show short video clips on screens in their tummies.
The characters have proved just as popular with British adults.
Fans are snapping up thousands of Teletubbie toys and books in time for Christmas.
But sales of Teletubbie music may prove slower - in London stores shelves brimmed with the CD single on Monday with few takers.
Shoppers seemed unimpressed, with many saying they didn't plan to include the Teletubbies on their Christmas lists.
The Tubbies - Laa-Laa, Tinky Winky, Dipsy and Po - plan to follow up the single with an album next spring.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:16th December 1997 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.