- Title: ARGENTINA: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in visit to Argentina
- Date: 10th June 2013
- Summary: VARIOUS OF LAVROV PLACING FLORAL OFFERING AT MONUMENT TO ARGENTINE INDEPENDENCE HERO
- Embargoed: 25th June 2013 13:00
- Location: Argentina
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: International Relations
- Reuters ID: LVAC5O7Q884JESCDCWWEZGE7R1AR
- Story Text: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov vistis Argentina, discusses Syria with his Argentine counterpart.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov began an official visit to Argentina on Monday (June 10) aimed at strengthening dialogue and boosting bilateral relations between the two countries.
Lavrov was received by his Argentine counterpart Hector Timerman at the Foreign Ministry in Buenos Aires.
Lavrov said he and Timerman had discussed the ongoing situation in Syria and the Middle East.
"We spoke about the cooperation of our countries in the United Nations and our positions regarding this are in the joint declaration that we signed. Some of these subjects that are in the international context are Syria and the Middle East, and the creation of a zone free of weapons of mass destruction in the Middle East."
The Russian government has dismissed criticism of its arms sales to Damascus defended their support of President Bashar al-Assad. The visit comes as the U.S. mulls whether to arm Syrian rebels.
Lavrov was received with full honours in Buenos Aires and laid a floral wreath at a monument to an Argentina independence hero.
Lavrov's next stop on his South American tour will be Brazil.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None