- Title: ARGENTINA: Pope ready to travel the world as a regular Argentine
- Date: 17th February 2014
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POPE FRANCIS TOURING THE STREETS IN RIO IN THE POPE MOBILE, WAVING AND GREETING FOLLOWERS
- Embargoed: 4th March 2014 12:00
- Location: Brazil
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: General
- Reuters ID: LVAE1AXSUQWC7WP38J8W0WFNOJ3M
- Story Text: Pope Francis wants to travel the world as a regular Argentine and not a privileged citizen of the Vatican City microstate, Argentina said on Monday (February 17).
The head of the Catholic Church and former bishop of Buenos Aires has asked his birth country to renew his passport and identification card, the country's interior and transportation ministry said.
Francis has opted to live in the smaller Vatican guest house instead of the official papal apartments, part of the humble lifestyle he has embraced since assuming the papacy last year.
Argentina's government, which enjoys drawing attention to the popular new pope's roots, released pictures of Francis' new identification card on Monday.
Francis already holds a passport issued by the Vatican, Randazzo said.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None