- Title: BRAZIL: Argentina return to hotel empty handed
- Date: 14th July 2014
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (JULY 13, 2014) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BRAZIL AND ARGENTINA FANS CHANTING AND CHEERING OUTSIDE ARGENTINA TEAM HOTEL MORE OF BRAZILIAN FANS FANS CHANTING AGAINST ARGENTINA BRAZILIAN FANS PUSHING HOTEL BARRIER 3. BUS WITH ARGENTINA TEAM DRIVING PAST FANS GATHERING TO SEE BUS ARGENTINA FANS CHEERING BUS ARRIVING
- Embargoed: 29th July 2014 13:00
- Location: Brazil
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVAB9MJLGL424IJSQ5E8T3VYW1U9
- Story Text: Dozens of fans gathered outside Argentina's team hotel on Sunday (July 13) after the team's defeat in the World Cup final.
Fans from bitter rivals Brazil and Argentina exchanged chants while waiting for the arrival of Lionel Messi and the rest of his team on board the official bus.
The thunderous clash between Germany, Brazil's 7-1 semi-final conquerors, and their bitter rivals had seemed headed for penalties until Andre Schuerrle escaped down the left after 113 minutes and sent in a cross that substitute Goetze controlled on his chest before slamming past goalkeeper Sergio Romero.
The magical strike meant Germany became the only European team to win the World Cup in the Americas, and left the superlative Messi without the title he so craved to crown his glittering career.
As much as all of Argentina hankered for a triumph on Brazilian soil, Germany were worth their win over a subdued Messi and his team mates who counter-attacked dangerously but lacked their opponents' more fluid passing moves.
Messi's poor final was summed up with virtually the last kick of the game when he had a chance to score a sensational equaliser with a free-kick 30 metres out.
The world's best player never troubled the world's best goalkeeper, however, blasting his effort high and wide and seconds later Germany were champions and Argentina were crushed.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None