- Title: VARIOUS: Video games are all about connectivity
- Date: 24th July 2008
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 15, 2008) (REUTERS- ACCESS ALL) DEMO OF ROCK BAND 2
- Embargoed: 8th August 2008 13:00
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA1QGARF75XJM7R389UII8A0RPL
- Story Text: Video game developers and designers are working hard to make gaming an interactive experience.
The E3 Media & Business Summit kicked off in full force Tuesday (July 15) with big name producers promising bigger and better features and games. Online interaction seems to be the theme of new consoles and games.
Microsoft's General Manager of Marketing for XBox, Matt Barlow: "People want to play online. Families want to play together. People of all age ranges want to enjoy this entertainment together. It's all about, really, a growing business and it's all about gaming together. And frankly, it's all about online."
Microsoft's XBox Live and Sony Playstation Network are all trying to cash in on the success of interactive gaming worlds like World of Warcraft.
The consoles will provide better networking and interactive play.
It's not just the hardware that's changing. Electronic Arts has launched a pre-qual to it's game, Spore. The Spore creator allows players to create their own creatures to use once the full game is released in September.
They say there are already 2 millions creatures in their online database.
The music band games have also tapped in to the online world. The new Rockband 2 features real time updates of scores and challenges. It someone beats your top score, the game will alert you and let you try to regain your spot on the top of the charts.
Sony Online is launching DC Universe - an interactive world of super heroes and villains. Pick your character and you decide whether to save the world or cause mass panic.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.