- Title: SOUTH AFRICA: FOOTBALL/SOCCER - Ghana to move home base before World Cup
- Date: 10th June 2010
- Summary: VARIOUS OF GHANA TRAINING DURING FRIENDLY WITH LOCAL TEAM FANS CELEBRATING GHANA SCORING GOAL DURING FRIENDLY
- Embargoed: 25th June 2010 13:00
- Location: South Africa
- Country: South Africa
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA4A7AWDAA0F8JBROX7OLGJD9LH
- Story Text: Ghana's soccer team held their last training session at Eesterust stadium in Pretoria on Wednesday (June 9) before moving its base camp to the luxurious Sun City over what officials said where unresolved technical issues with the hotel.
"There were just some unresolved technical issues. We thought with the short period we have to stay in South Africa, it would be better if we moved and so we had a discussion with the hotel and with the guys at FIFA and we all agreed that it would be good if we changed base camps," Ghana Football Association spokesperson Randy Abbey told Reuters.
He declined to give further details.
Abbey said the team was to drive to the Sun City Casino and Resort, situated in the North West Province of South Africa, about 120 kilometres from Johannesburg after the friendly against a local soccer academy.
The Africans suffered a major setback last week with the withdrawal through injury of Michael Essien who had failed to recover from a knee injury.
Another key midfielder, Sulley Muntari missed the match against Latvia last Saturday (June 5) because of a thigh strain and trained alone before the crowd of about 200 on Wednesday, but is expected to play in the opening match next week.
"Just light knocks, but for now it is only Sulley Muntari who is recovering, but we are told by the medical team that he is recovering quite fast and so it is our expectation that he will make it very soon," Abbey said.
Ghana's Black Stars have been drawn in Group D of the World Cup finals and will play their opening game on Sunday (June 13) against Serbia at the Loftus Versfeld stadium in Pretoria before meeting Germany and Australia.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None