- Title: SOUTH AFRICA: Carnival dazzles crowds on the streets of Cape Town
- Date: 23rd March 2011
- Summary: LIFE SIZE DINASAOR PUPPET INTERACTING WITH THE CROWD VARIOUS OF ANIMAL PUPPETS BEING SHOWN TO CROWD BREAKDANCERS PERFORMING IN THE STREET
- Embargoed: 7th April 2011 13:00
- Location: South Africa, South Africa
- Country: South Africa
- Topics: Entertainment,Quirky,Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVAEE1GL76WTXOZ8AAGSVLK904G2
- Story Text: Thousands lined the streets of Cape Town on Saturday (March 19) to get a glimpse of the dancers, musicians and performers taking part in the city's biggest carnival to date.
The streets were lit up in an explosion of light and colour for the evening spectacle, which saw over 2,500 children and adult performers parade the length of Long Street in the city centre to a mix of traditional and modern music and drumming.
Cape Town first staged a carnival last year in honour of South Africa hosting the world cup.
Now organisers have vowed to make the spectacle an annual event to celebrate the mix of culture and people living in the city known for its musical and artistic traditions.
This year the theme was "Dream the Future" in honour of Cape Town's rising generation of dancers and performers who dominated the floats and parades.
Performances ranged from traditional carnival outfits with feathered dancers and drummers to less conventional takes on the theme including ghostly life size animal puppets, break dancers and futuristic robot costumes.
Organisers were given advice from carnival engineers in Brazil - hosts of the world famous annual Rio de Janeiro carnival - on how to put together moving stages and floats and co-ordinate the huge numbers of participants and spectators.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS